From: Kenton Shaver
Subject: Re: wanted lisp for os/2
·····@arupa.gsfc.nasa.gov (Bruce O'Neel) writes:
> In article <·····@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> ········@icogsci1.ucsd.edu
> (Woogi Woogi Woogi!!) writes:
>
>     am looking for a version of lisp that will eaither run under os/2
>    or was writen specificly for it...

> CLISP fills the bill.  From the FAQ...

[...]

>    ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2] in the directory
>    /pub/lisp/clisp. For more information, contact Bruno Haible
>    <······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.
>
> CLISP works well in OS/2.

I'm wondering what the DSOM bindings for Lisp would look like.
Xerox's Inter-Language Unification system(*) has Lisp mappings, but it
is not yet clear to me how close they are to CORBA IDLs.  The DLLs in
Warp include the DSOM/SOM2 stuff, so it would seem possible to make
bindings (if so doing is possible in any interpreted language) with a
compiler and the stuff in those DLLs.   Is this a realistic project?

KWS

·······@CMU.EDU

(*) my thanks to Xerox for providing this on their FTP site

From: Matthieu WILLM
In <··················@andrew.cmu.edu> Kenton Shaver <·······@CMU.EDU> writes:
>·····@arupa.gsfc.nasa.gov (Bruce O'Neel) writes:
>> In article <·····@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> ········@icogsci1.ucsd.edu
>> (Woogi Woogi Woogi!!) writes:
>>
>>     am looking for a version of lisp that will eaither run under os/2
>>    or was writen specificly for it...
>
>> CLISP fills the bill.  From the FAQ...
>>

>[...]
>
>>    ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2] in the directory
>>    /pub/lisp/clisp. For more information, contact Bruno Haible
>>    <······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.
>>
>> CLISP works well in OS/2.
>
>I'm wondering what the DSOM bindings for Lisp would look like.
>Xerox's Inter-Language Unification system(*) has Lisp mappings, but it
>is not yet clear to me how close they are to CORBA IDLs.  The DLLs in
>Warp include the DSOM/SOM2 stuff, so it would seem possible to make
>bindings (if so doing is possible in any interpreted language) with a
>compiler and the stuff in those DLLs.   Is this a realistic project?
>
>KWS
>
>·······@CMU.EDU
>
>(*) my thanks to Xerox for providing this on their FTP site

Well the SOM/DSOM product comes with what is called the "emitter framework"
this is a framework designed to develop language bindings emitter from CORBA ID
L files (such as C and C++ bindings included in the product). With this frame
work you could develop your own Lisp emitter (would generate LISP files form
IDL files)....technicaly feasible but maybe a non trivial exercice :))
Matthieu Willm                        I do *NOT* speak for IBM ...
<······@vnet.ibm.com>
<·····@morvan.gna.org>
From: Tore Joergensen
: ·····@arupa.gsfc.nasa.gov (Bruce O'Neel) writes:
: > In article <·····@sdcc12.ucsd.edu> ········@icogsci1.ucsd.edu
: > (Woogi Woogi Woogi!!) writes:
: >
: >     am looking for a version of lisp that will eaither run under os/2
: >    or was writen specificly for it...

: > CLISP fills the bill.  From the FAQ...
: >

: [...]

: >    ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de [129.13.115.2] in the directory
: >    /pub/lisp/clisp. For more information, contact Bruno Haible
: >    <······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de>.
: >
: > CLISP works well in OS/2.

There is a version of xlisp for os2. I don't remember if it is freeware
or shareware, or what the filename is. I guess it is somewhere on
ftp.cdrom.com.
Tore B. Joergensen,    |    e-mail:     ····@lis.pitt.edu
a norwegian student    |    snail-mail: 2201 Pittockstr.
a long way from home.  |                Pittsburgh, 15217 PA
From: Arnoud Martens
In article <··················@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Kenton Shaver  <·······@CMU.EDU> wrote:
>I'm wondering what the DSOM bindings for Lisp would look like.
>Xerox's Inter-Language Unification system(*) has Lisp mappings, but it
>is not yet clear to me how close they are to CORBA IDLs.  The DLLs in
>Warp include the DSOM/SOM2 stuff, so it would seem possible to make
>bindings (if so doing is possible in any interpreted language) with a
>compiler and the stuff in those DLLs.   Is this a realistic project?

I am no lisp expert, buut this seems perfectly reasonable to
me. The idea of IDL is to create a langauge indepent description
of an object interface. Mappings (or language bindings) bring
invocations on the object (and access to the ORB) in to the
programming domain of a client. So you can invoke methods on
server objects just like you would invoke methods on local
objects.

In fact the bindings are similar qto the stubs you have to link in
when you are calling functions from a DLL. It is like saying this
function is not available now (==compile time) but it will be at
run-time if you open this dll and call this entry.

Gtx:
--
Name: Arnoud Martens, Utrecht, the Netherlands,  tel: +31-30-732679
E-mail: ·······@ijssel.xs4all.nl WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~arnoudm
From: Bill Janssen
wrote:

   Xerox's Inter-Language Unification system(*) has Lisp mappings, but it
   is not yet clear to me how close they are to CORBA IDLs.

(I must have missed this posting...)

CORBA IDL (actually properly called OMG IDL) describes the interface
to an object in a so-called abstract way, actually very much like C++.
The OMG also defines, in CORBA, the way in which such OMG IDL is mapped
to constructs in a particular programming language, for some languages,
currently C and C++.

ILU will read OMG IDL, and produce mappings of it to particular programming
languages, currently Common Lisp, Python, Modula-3, C++, and C.  For the
case of C, we use the mapping prescribed by the OMG.  In the case of C++,
we will follow the mapping prescribed by the OMG as soon as we can.  In the
case of Common Lisp, the OMG does not prescribe a mapping, so we invented
our own.  Nonetheless, it is a valid mapping for OMG IDL (so far as I know,
it's the only Common Lisp mapping for CORBA in existence; if I'm wrong,
I'd be interested in hearing about others.)  Our Common Lisp mapping has
some little glitches.  For example, it does not support the full baroque
set of possibilities in OMG IDL union constructs.  We're fixing that.

All of the ILU languages interoperate, of course; it's a good way to build a
distributed system in multiple languages.  For more info on ILU, and the
sources, see ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen  <·······@parc.xerox.com> (415) 812-4763  FAX: (415) 812-4777
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304
From: Ken Anderson
In article <····················@holmes.PARC.Xerox.Com> ·······@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) writes:

   ILU will read OMG IDL, and produce mappings of it to particular programming
   languages, currently Common Lisp, Python, Modula-3, C++, and C.  For the
   case of C, we use the mapping prescribed by the OMG.  In the case of C++,
   we will follow the mapping prescribed by the OMG as soon as we can.  In the
   case of Common Lisp, the OMG does not prescribe a mapping, so we invented
   our own.  Nonetheless, it is a valid mapping for OMG IDL (so far as I know,
   it's the only Common Lisp mapping for CORBA in existence; if I'm wrong,
   I'd be interested in hearing about others.)  Our Common Lisp mapping has
   some little glitches.  For example, it does not support the full baroque
   set of possibilities in OMG IDL union constructs.  We're fixing that.

The lastest issue of LISP Pointers has an article by Tom Mowbray and
Kendall White on an OMG IDL mapping for Common Lisp.  You can get a copy of
the spec by sending mail to ······@omg.org with the line

get docs/94-3-11.ps

I have emailed them about what the status of their stuff is, but have not
gotten a reply yet.  I have recently taken a course in Orbix, an ORB vendor
that currently only supports C++.  Doing this stuff in Lisp would be much
easier.  I've been meaning to look at your stuff.  This will force me to do
it.

Ken Anderson
Internet: ·········@bbn.com
BBN ST               Work Phone: 617-873-3160
10 Moulton St.       Home Phone: 617-643-0157
Mail Stop 6/4a              FAX: 617-873-2794
Cambridge MA 02138
USA