From: William G. Dubuque
Subject: Re: Looking for MACLSP
  From: ยทยทยทยท@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton)
  Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 18:12:02 GMT

  I don't think Franz started as a port of MacLisp.  After all, what
  would it port?  The PDP-11 assembly code?  PL/1 (from the Multics
  version)?  (OK, the compilers were in Lisp; but the Franz compiler
  looks like a different program.)  However, Franz was fairly
  compatible w/ MacLisp.  It even had "hunks".

I believe one of the main motivations for the development of Franz
Lisp was to port Macsyma. As such, it had to be compatible with
MacLisp. Macsyma actually played a large role in the development of
many of the lisps in the MIT ancestry, e.g. it motivated much of the
early work on ephemeral GC.