From: Kaelin Colclasure
Subject: ??? ECoLisp fns from C ???
From the AI-Repository:

> ECoLisp (ECL, Eco Common Lisp) is a Common Lisp implementation which
> compiles Lisp functions into C functions that use the C stack and
> standard procedure call conventions. This lets Lisp and C code be
> easily mixed. It is designed to be used as a C library from any C
> application. ECL also includes MTCL, a multithread facility, and CLOS.

My interpretation of this description leads me to believe that ECoLisp
functions can be compiled, archived into a library, and then called from
a main program written in C (which also links to the crl support
library included in ECoLisp).  However, after picking through the
documentation I'm not so sure-- I find no specific examples or references
to this capability.

An examination of the C code emitted by the compiler immediately reveals
that all of the Lisp functions are declared static.  The documentation
details a number of facilities for embedding C functions in a Lisp
application...  Is this what the above description is alluding to?  If
so, I believe it could be worded more clearly.  Indeed, even the name
"Embeddable Common Lisp" would seem somewhat misleading in this regard.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point out what I'm missing...

// EMail: ······@bridge.com           Mail: Bridge Information Systems, Inc.
// Voice: (314)567-8463                     717 Office Parkway
//   Fax: (314)432-5391                     St. Louis, MO 63141