From: Michael Peirce
Subject: Re: No employment available for mathematician/genius/programmer(LISP)
In article <··········@openlink.openlink.com> (sci.math,rec.org.mensa,comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.lang.lisp,ba.jobs.misc,misc.jobs.misc), ···@BTR.Com (Robert Elton Maas, 21 years experience programming) writes:
> I think you misunderstand the situation. I have offered my services for
> pay, and nobody wants to accept my offer. I have NOT been offered pay
> for my services. It's up to some employer to accept my offer, or
> equivalently to make me an offer.

Jezz, no wonder you can't find a job.  It's not some employer's duty
to hire you.  They want to find people who fill some need they have.

It sounds like you are offering services that no one is interested
in.  Time to change what you offer.

If you really want to be in the computer software business, but don't
have the right skill set, take a job selling shoes days and save your
pennys to buy some old equipment (there are many older Unix boxes
to be had for <$1000 (not new, but old 68K Suns and such)) and teach
yourself something useful at night.

Get off your duff - but then if you knew how to do this you wouldn't
be asking about it on the net... :-(

__ Michael Peirce        __ ·······@peircesw.com
__ Peirce Software, Inc. __ 719 Hibiscus Place, Suite 301
__                       __ San Jose, California USA 95117-1844
__ Makers of: SMOOTHIE & __ voice: +1.408.244.6554 fax: +1.408.244.6882
__    PEIRCE PRINT TOOLS __ AppleLink & AOL: peirce
From: Jeff Dalton
In article <···············@outpost.peircesw.com> ·······@outpost.peircesw.com (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <··········@openlink.openlink.com> (sci.math,rec.org.mensa,comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.lang.lisp,ba.jobs.misc,misc.jobs.misc), ···@BTR.Com (Robert Elton Maas, 21 years experience programming) writes:
>> I think you misunderstand the situation. I have offered my services for
>> pay, and nobody wants to accept my offer. I have NOT been offered pay
>> for my services. It's up to some employer to accept my offer, or
>> equivalently to make me an offer.
>
>Jezz, no wonder you can't find a job.  It's not some employer's duty
>to hire you.

Nowhere does he say or imply that it's their duty.

-- jeff