From: royg
Subject: Profiling questions
   Hello

     This may be an obvious question, but I don't see or haven't found
  anything to that effect.

     Is it possible to profile a lisp program much the same as one profiles
  C program ? How is this done under clisp ? Thanks

                                   -- roy
From: Ken Anderson
Subject: Re: Profiling questions
In article <··········@world.std.com> ····@world.std.com (royg) writes:

	Is it possible to profile a lisp program much the same as one profiles
     C program ? How is this done under clisp ? Thanks

Yes.  Commercial lisp vendors provide profiling tools which are quite good.
You can get a function counting (maybe timing too) profiling software from
the Lisp repository at CMU.  You have to specify each function you want to
monitor and it wraps that function in code that can be used to produce a
profile.  What i recommend is wrapping every function, because that way you
can find functions you don't think you are calling.  However, this can SLOW
your system down.  I looked at the code once and it seemed like you could
make its performance a bit better (profiling the profiler).

Ken Anderson
Internet: ·········@bbn.com
BBN ST               Work Phone: 617-873-3160
10 Moulton St.       Home Phone: 617-643-0157
Mail Stop 6/4a              FAX: 617-873-2794
Cambridge MA 02138
USA