From: David J Topper
Subject: Which Lisp am I running?
OK, it seems as though I have three LISP's on machine, but I can only
find two on my machine:

1)  Stuff in /usr/lib/emacs/19.25/lisp/ - created on Sep 12 when I
installed Linux.  I have no idea how to run this.

2)  Stuff in /usr/lib/lisp - created on Feb 3 when I uzipped elisp from
sunsite.unc.edu.  I can run this by executing clisp

3)  Something which runs when I do a M-x run-lisp from emacs.  Yet the
copyright that comes up when I do this is for 1994.  It is different that
whatever runs when I type clisp from the shell prompt.

NOTE:  This last one - well - I don't see it anywhere on my drive (using
find * | grep lisp).

So I am a bit confused ... and I can't seem to get either of them working
with their debuggers.  Info emacs tells me about using (debug-on-entry
'func) but that doesn't work in any of the above.  And there doesn't seem
to be much documentation on the other two LISPs.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DT

NOTE:  I am running Linux.
From: William G. Dubuque
Subject: Re: Which Lisp am I running?
  From: David J Topper <ยทยทยทยท@columbia.edu>
  Date: Sat, 4 Feb 1995 14:33:53 -0500

  OK, it seems as though I have three LISP's on machine, but I can only
  find two on my machine:

  1)  Stuff in /usr/lib/emacs/19.25/lisp/ - created on Sep 12 when I
  installed Linux.  I have no idea how to run this.

This directory contains the .el Emacs Lisp (ELisp) source files.
ELisp is the extension language used by GNU Emacs, and it is always
available within Emacs. For example, you can evaluate ELisp forms in
the '*scratch*' buffer via the command 'eval-print-last-sexp' (C-j),
or you can use the command 'eval-expression' (Esc Esc) to evaluate a
sexp typed into the minbuffer. Note that ELisp is a byte-compiled
dynamically scoped Lisp, not Common Lisp.  There has been recent talk
of doing a Scheme based extension language for Emacs (based on the
more general Scheme based extension and glue language GUILE, see
ftp.cygnus.com:pub/lord/guile-i.tar.gz)

  2)  Stuff in /usr/lib/lisp - created on Feb 3 when I uzipped elisp from
  sunsite.unc.edu.  I can run this by executing clisp

  3)  Something which runs when I do a M-x run-lisp from emacs.  Yet the
  copyright that comes up when I do this is for 1994.  It is different that
  whatever runs when I type clisp from the shell prompt.

'M-x run-lisp' is an alias for 'inferior-lisp', which starts an
external inferior Lisp program from within Emacs. This command uses
the variable 'inferior-lisp-command' to find the Lisp program.  Type
'C-h v' to describe this variable and display its value.  You could
have figured all this out by running describe-function (C-h f) on
'run-lisp'. See also doc on the 'ilisp' program, and also Franz's
equivalent 'fi' package for more extensive tools for communication
with inferior lisp processes.

  NOTE:  This last one - well - I don't see it anywhere on my drive (using
  find * | grep lisp).

You could also use a shell command like 'which lisp' once you
know the program name.

  So I am a bit confused ... and I can't seem to get either of them working
  with their debuggers.  Info emacs tells me about using (debug-on-entry
  'func) but that doesn't work in any of the above.  And there doesn't seem
  to be much documentation on the other two LISPs.

debug-on-entry is an ELisp command. Common Lisp does not
include an analogous function in the language standard, but
most implementations do, e.g. 'break-on' or a
':break-on-entry' keyword arg to 'trace', etc. See the
documentation for whatever lisp dialect you are using.
A useful way to find portable solutions to non-standard
CL extensions is to look at the ilisp implementations,

You may find it helpful to read the the Lisp FAQ, which can
be found rtfm.mit.edu, as are all FAQ's (its also posted
regularly to comp.lang.lisp).

-Bill