From: David J Topper
Subject: Elisp Linux Question
Hello,

I'm a newcomer to Lisp ... and am running elisp on Linux.  I have one
question:

After I load my program with (load "program_file"), I try to set up the
debugger with (debug-on-entry 'main_function).  All I get, however, is:

Error: The function DEBUG-ON-ENTRY is undefined.
Error signalled by EVAL.
Broken at SYSTEM::BREAK-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DT
From: Fons Botman
Subject: Re: Elisp Linux Question
David J Topper (ยทยทยทยท@columbia.edu) wrote:
: Hello,

: I'm a newcomer to Lisp ... and am running elisp on Linux.  I have one
: question:

: After I load my program with (load "program_file"), I try to set up the
: debugger with (debug-on-entry 'main_function).  All I get, however, is:

: Error: The function DEBUG-ON-ENTRY is undefined.
: Error signalled by EVAL.
: Broken at SYSTEM::BREAK-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

: Any suggestions?

Maybe you are not giving the command to gnu-emacs "elisp", but to another
kind of lisp you are running as a subprocess in an emacs window?
The output is typical for a kind of common lisp, not elisp. If the window
says "inferior lisp" this is probably the case (the term is not express my
judgement of quality).

I normally start debugging in "elisp" by:
M-X debug-on-entry RETURN main_function RETURN

If you are running another lisp please specify its name, or try
(help 'step) or (help 'break)

Fons Botman

: Thanks,

: DT