From: Tony Lennard
Subject: CLX - help needed
Hello,

In the example programs with clx, a host has to be supplied, eg as in

(defun just-say-lisp (host &optional (font-name "fixed"))

fo the menu demonstration program (menu.l)

In the documentation with poplog (which I am running it on - it includes
common lisp), it gives host as "unix" - which fails. I have also
trieds the machine name eg "dolphin", be an error message such as

;;; MISHAP - X-Error: ID 36 from display #<DISPLAY dolphin:0 (MIT X Consortium
         R5000)> should have b
        een a WINDOW, but was :WM_CLIENT_MACHINE
;;; DOING    :  (JUST-SAY-LISP "dolphin")

is produced.

Has anyone any idea what should be given as a host

Thanks

Tony Lennard - email ······@comp.lancs.ac.uk

--
phone dfdfsfsfd
From: Kevin Gallagher
Subject: Re: CLX - help needed
> In the example programs with clx, a host has to be supplied, eg as in
>
> (defun just-say-lisp (host &optional (font-name "fixed"))
>
> from the menu demonstration program (menu.l)
>
> In the documentation with poplog (which I am running it on - it includes
> common lisp), it gives host as "unix" - which fails. I have also
> trieds the machine name eg "dolphin", be an error message such as
>
> ;;; MISHAP - X-Error: ID 36 from display #<DISPLAY dolphin:0 (MIT X Consortium
>          R5000)> should have b
>         een a WINDOW, but was :WM_CLIENT_MACHINE
> ;;; DOING    :  (JUST-SAY-LISP "dolphin")
>
> is produced.
>
> Has anyone any idea what should be given as a host

Your host is correct.  CLX uses the host to open a display, which it
appears to have done successfully.  The object

    #<DISPLAY dolphin:0 (MIT X Consortium R5000)>

is a display.  I'm just guessing, but some early versions of CLX
assumed that X object IDs were unique, which was true in X11R4, but in
R5, they are only unique within each kind of object (e.g., window,
font, etc.).  Your lisp debugger can give you a good idea of exactly
how far along you got.  You can also try doing each of the steps of the
program interactively to see how far you get.  E.g.,

    > (setf display (xlib:open-display "dolphin"))
    #<DISPLAY dolphin:0 (MIT X Consortium R5000)>

    > (xlib:display-roots display)
    (#<XLIB:SCREEN dolphin:0.0 1152x900x8 PSEUDO-COLOR>
     #<XLIB:SCREEN dolphin:0.1 1152x900x1 STATIC-GRAY>)

    > (setf screen (first (xlib:display-roots display)))
    #<XLIB:SCREEN dolphin:0.0 1152x900x8 PSEUDO-COLOR>

Kevin Gallagher

Blackboard Technology Group, Inc.