From: William Paul Vrotney
Subject: Re: Porting cmu-cl to NeXT
In article <··········@cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu> ···@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Fahlman) writes:

> In article <··········@celebrian.otago.ac.nz> ·······@black_albatross.otago.ac.nz (Brendon) writes:
>
>    Has anyone attempted a port of cmu-cl to the NeXT yet? Currently
>    I am running CLISP and GCL which work O.K. but there are real
>    speed problems when compiling LARGE programs.
>
> I'm pretty sure that nobody has seriously attempted a CMUCL port to
> the 68K architecture.  It would be a big job, and at this point a
> Great Leap Backward.
>
> -- Scott

Before NeXT decided to go software only I was analyzing CMUCL with the
intent of porting to NeXT 68k.  Around that time I believe that CMUCL was
ported to Intel 486 (correct me if I am wrong).  If this is so, a port to
NeXT on a 486 should not be too bad.

If someone with a NeXT 486 would like to try this I could point you to the
archives and code modules.  If this works out I might consider reopening the
68k port.

Also note that I posted a patch to allow Allegro CL 3.1.20 to run under NS
3.x 68k.

--

William P. Vrotney - ·······@netcom.com

From: Scott Fahlman
In article <·················@netcom.com> ·······@netcom.com (William Paul Vrotney) writes:

   Before NeXT decided to go software only I was analyzing CMUCL with the
   intent of porting to NeXT 68k.  Around that time I believe that CMUCL was
   ported to Intel 486 (correct me if I am wrong).  If this is so, a port to
   NeXT on a 486 should not be too bad.

CMU CL has not yet been ported to the Intel x86 as far as I know.
There is an outside group working on an x86 port under Linux, but
they're not too far along as yet.  The CMU CL project is now defunct,
so we won't be doing such a port.  We're all working on Dylan now.

-- Scott

Scott E. Fahlman			Internet:  ····@cs.cmu.edu
Principal Research Scientist		Phone:     412 268-2575
School of Computer Science              Fax:       412 268-5576
Carnegie Mellon University		Latitude:  40:26:46 N
5000 Forbes Avenue			Longitude: 79:56:55 W
Pittsburgh, PA 15213			Mood:      :-)
From: Anthony Berglas
In <··········@cantaloupe.srv.cs.cmu.edu> ···@CS.CMU.EDU (Scott Fahlman) writes:

>In article <·················@netcom.com> ·······@netcom.com (William Paul Vrotney) writes:

>   Before NeXT decided to go software only I was analyzing CMUCL with the
>   intent of porting to NeXT 68k.  Around that time I believe that CMUCL was
>   ported to Intel 486 (correct me if I am wrong).  If this is so, a port to
>   NeXT on a 486 should not be too bad.

>CMU CL has not yet been ported to the Intel x86 as far as I know.
>There is an outside group working on an x86 port under Linux, but
>they're not too far along as yet.  The CMU CL project is now defunct,
>so we won't be doing such a port.  We're all working on Dylan now.

Hows Dylan going?  When will it be as good as CMUCL?

Anthony
--
Anthony Berglas
Rm 312a, Computer Science, Uni of Qld, 4072, Australia.