From: Joung-woo John Kim
Subject: (Q) How to connect to an old Xerox 11xx Lisp Machine
Hello.

   I wonder if you have tried connecting a Xerox 11xx (1108 Dendelion or any
Xerox D-Machine) and a Macintosh (or any computer) via the D-Machine's RS232
port.

I'm trying to send and receive files between a D-Machine I have (1108) and
my Mac. I tried this and that to no avail.

If you have succeeded in doing so, I would appreciate it very
much if you would share the recipe. If so, I would like to know:

1. What kind of connection do I use?

Just null modem cable? Or do I need a modem in between?

2. What programs were used on both machines.

I tried kermit on 1108 and Zterm (which includes kermit features) on Mac.
But when I tried to send a file from 1108 to Mac, the kermit on 1108 says:
"You must choose a valid Chat window first." And when I tried a chat
program on the 1108, the chat programs prompts for a host name. How do I
set up a host name, or solve or get around this problem?

Alternatively, if someone (preferably in Southern California, USA) has at
their site a D-Machine connected to their other modern computers, I would
appreciate it if you would allow me to have the contents (ASCII files) of
my 8.5" floppy transferred to another computer.

Any info/lead will be greatly appreciated.

John Kim
USC

P.S. Please email me you response.
--
Joung-woo John Kim
Computer Science Dept., University of Southern California