From: AE
Subject: Allegro CL 4.2 socket connection
Hello,

I am trying to create a socket connection to Allegro Common Lisp 4.2
for a CGI script that needs to interact with a lisp program. I looked
at the ipc.cl and tried functions start-lisp-listener-daemon,
start-lisp-server-process etc. and all failed with PROCESS-KILL message.
(And the documentation didn't help much) I managed to connect to a server
process by using lisp-listener-with-stream-as-terminal-io and open-network-stream
functions, but that was not exactly what I wanted.

I want to have a process that listens for a socket connection, gets the
user input and sends the result back, then closes the connection and
waits for the next connection.

If anybody has an idea or did something similar, please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Ali Erdem (·····@usc.edu)

From: Ken Anderson
Subject: Re: Allegro CL 4.2 socket connection
In article <··········@pollux.usc.edu> ·······@pollux.usc.edu (AE) writes:

> I am trying to create a socket connection to Allegro Common Lisp 4.2
> for a CGI script that needs to interact with a lisp program. I looked
> at the ipc.cl and tried functions start-lisp-listener-daemon,

I'll send you some example code we've used.

You can also connect the Lisp application directly to the Web, see:
http://alpha-bits.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html
From: Jeff Dalton
In article <······················@lager.bbn.com> ········@lager.bbn.com (Ken Anderson) writes:
>In article <··········@pollux.usc.edu> ·······@pollux.usc.edu (AE) writes:
>

>> I am trying to create a socket connection to Allegro Common Lisp 4.2
>> for a CGI script that needs to interact with a lisp program. I looked
>> at the ipc.cl and tried functions start-lisp-listener-daemon,
>
>I'll send you some example code we've used.
>
>You can also connect the Lisp application directly to the Web, see:
>http://alpha-bits.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

I'm not sure why you need sockets.  I have Common Lisp CGI stuff that
doesn't need socket connections or a CL http server.  (I'm not saying
you _don't_ need a socket connection -- I'm just not sure why, and
hence that you really do.)

(What I do is save an executable Lisp image that, when it starts up,
reads the CGI query args and produces whatever output is required.
So it all happens via standard input and output.)

-- jeff