From: Kenneth R. Knight
Subject: MCL (and others) and application size/speed questions
We're about to embark on a project that will by its nature be far easier
to write using an OODL (some of that is because a big chunk is on the
Newton). None of the people involved have experience with LISP and we
only really know the vague statements of the past that the executables
tend to be both big and somewhat slow. I've seen claims that counter
these assertions, but nothing really concrete that I can say, "look here
MCL [and something for Windows] at these stats on size/speed how about that?"

Can anyone give me such information or at least point me in the right
direction (I didn't find anything at the Digitool web site).

  ** Ken **

ps- We'll also look into SmallTalk I imagine and if you have information
on that I'd not mind knowing about it too.

--
****     Kenneth Knight         Innovation Associates     ****
****                    Software Engineer                 ****
From: Ken Anderson
In article <··········@cwis-20.wayne.edu> ······@sphinx.biosci.wayne.edu (Kenneth R. Knight) writes:

> We're about to embark on a project that will by its nature be far easier
> to write using an OODL (some of that is because a big chunk is on the
> Newton). None of the people involved have experience with LISP and we
> only really know the vague statements of the past that the executables
> tend to be both big and somewhat slow. I've seen claims that counter

Yes such statements are usually vague and based on old info.

> these assertions, but nothing really concrete that I can say, "look here
> MCL [and something for Windows] at these stats on size/speed how about that?"
>
> Can anyone give me such information or at least point me in the right
> direction (I didn't find anything at the Digitool web site).

Lisp performance can be quite excellent.  The size of the application
depends a lot on the platform and Lisp implementation you are using.  Lisp
applications on the MAC for example can be about the same size as other
applications such as, powerpoint, word.  I believe Digitool has or will
have technology for even more compact applications.

> ps- We'll also look into SmallTalk I imagine and if you have information
> on that I'd not mind knowing about it too.

Yes, SmallTalk might be another good choice.  You have not said much about
your application, but Paul Gray describes Lisp as both a high level and a
low level language.  This could help you if you need to emulate or
interface to a Newton.