From: Shriram Krishnamurthi
Subject: Re: Is the Java VM language-independent or not?  Scheme support
[Follow-ups have been restricted.]

·····@cerc.wvu.edu (Matthew Fuchs) said:

> I disagree entirely.  I find call/cc extremely useful.  In any case,
> if the Java compiler would use CPS, then call/cc becomes trivial, as
> Andrew Appel has shown with SML/NJ.

And if you look carefully at SML/NJ, you would see that his CPS
strategy has nothing to do with his call/cc implementation technique.
Note that many CPSing compilers do _not_ use the "current
continuation" made available by the CPS transformation to implement
call/cc.  Hence, a direct-style compiler could implement call/cc just
as easily.

>					  Stacks can be really
> clunky in such an environment, especially when IPC really is
> continuation passing.

Yes, but what does continuation invocation mean?

'shriram