From: simko user
Subject: Looking for some good Lisp Books
Hi!

I am a beginner in programming LISP and faced to the problem that I
have to use and understand existing code. The book I have been using so far
is very good for learning the basics of LISP and for making the first steps
but I need some sort of "reference manual" with a rich index and good
descriptions and examples of the functions macros and primitives of Common
Lisp.

If someone has an idea which books meet my requirements please let me know
by email, because this way it is easier for me to keep track of the incoming
suggested books (and if wanted the person who sent me the hint).

--

Thanks in advance

    Stefan Simkovics

+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Simkovics Stefan                      |                                 |
| Technical University of Vienna        |                                 |
| Inst. f. Informationsystems           |                                 |
| Dept. f. Knowlegebased Systems        |   fax : +43 1 581 79 66         |
| Treitlstr. 3, A-1040 Vienna, AUSTRIA  | email : ·····@kr.tuwien.ac.at   |
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

From: Christoph Mack
Subject: Re: Looking for some good Lisp Books
Hi!
We (Stefan Simkovics and me) got only a few answers but i will post the
list anyway:
Steele, David J.: Golden common LISP : a hands-on approach
        Addison-Wesley, 1989
        ISBN 0-201-41653-0

Steele, Guy L.: Common LISP : the language 2nd edition
        Digital Press, 1990
        ISBN 1-55558-041-6 - ISBN 0-13-152414-3
        also available via WWW
	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html

By the way, a good book fo learning Lisp is:
Winston, Patrick H.: LISP 3. ed.
        Addison-Wesley, 1989
        ISBN 0-201-08319-1

        \|/
       (o o)
--oOOO--(_)--OOOo-------------------------------------------------------
Christoph Rainer MACK
Student at the TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF VIENNA
···············@stud1.tuwien.ac.at
http://rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at/~cmack/
   .oooO          They don't make no seatbelts in the minds, so I can't
   (   )   Oooo.  fasten up for this life. (Suicidal Tendencies)
----\ (----(   )--------------------------------------------------------
     \_)    ) /
           (_/
From: Francis Leboutte
simko user <simko> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am a beginner in programming LISP and faced to the problem that I
>have to use and understand existing code. The book I have been using so far
>is very good for learning the basics of LISP and for making the first steps
>but I need some sort of "reference manual" with a rich index and good
>descriptions and examples of the functions macros and primitives of Common
>Lisp.

I am not sure there is a book that meets exactly your needs. Of course
there is the CL reference (see Steele below), but somewhat indigestible.
Below a list of good lisp books. See also the Lisp FAQs.

--
Francis Leboutte             Algorithme, Rue de la Charrette 141
········@mail.interpac.be    4130 Tilff, Belgium

H.Abelson, G.J.Sussman
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
The MIT Press
Excellent. Scheme

D.Friedman, M.Felleisen
The Little Lisper
SRA, 2nd Ed 1986
Amusant. Consacr� uniquement aux fonctions r�cursives.

P.Graham
On Lisp. Adavanced Techniques for Common Lisp
Prentice Hall, 1994
Excellent. Pour le programmeur Lisp professionnel

T. Hasemer, J.Domingue
Common Lisp Programming for Artificial Intelligence
Addison Wesley, 1989
Int�ressant

S.Keene
Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp
Addison Wesley, 1988.
Couvre le design et la programmation d'applications orient�es objet.
Excellent.

P. NORVIG
Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming.
Case Studies in Common Lisp
Morgan Kaufman, 1992.
Utilisable comme cours d'introduction � l'I.A et comme cours avanc�
de programmation. Pour le programmeur Lisp professionnel

G.Steele
Common Lisp : The Language (2nd edition)
Digital Press.
Manuel de r�f�rence. A consulter quand n�cessaire.

D. Tatar
A. Programmer's book to Common Lisp.
Digital Press
Un bon livre pour ceux qui ont une connaissance d'un autre langage que le
Lisp.
Pas d'approche de CLOS.

D. Touretzky
Common Lisp : A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
Benjamin Cumming, 1989.
Un livre pour d�buter en Common Lisp . Convient aussi aux non
informaticiens.

P.Winston, B.Horn
Lisp (3rd edition)
Addison Wesley
Un classique (Common Lisp et CLOS). Design et programmation.

---
From: Wheeler Ruml
In article <················@news.interpac.be> ········@mail.interpac.be (Francis Leboutte) writes:

> simko user <simko> wrote:
>
> >but I need some sort of "reference manual" with a rich index and good
> >descriptions and examples of the functions macros and primitives of Common
> >Lisp.
>
> I am not sure there is a book that meets exactly your needs. Of course
> there is the CL reference (see Steele below), but somewhat indigestible.
> Below a list of good lisp books. See also the Lisp FAQs.

Paul Graham's new book, _ANSI_Common_Lisp_ (Prentice Hall) might meet
your needs.  It has a short but complete reference section for all of
ANSI CL and several medium-length examples.

Wheeler
--
Wheeler Ruml, Aiken 220, ····@eecs.harvard.edu, (617) 496-1066 (fax)
http://www.das.harvard.edu/users/students/Wheeler_Ruml/Wheeler_Ruml.html
From: Ken Anderson

> Paul Graham's new book, _ANSI_Common_Lisp_ (Prentice Hall) might meet
> your needs.  It has a short but complete reference section for all of
> ANSI CL and several medium-length examples.

I had a chance to review a draft of this book, and it is an excellent
introduction.  The size (~ 500 pages) is comparable to books on C++, so
Lisp doesn't look so huge anymore.  The introduction made me proud to
know Lisp.