From: Eric Wong
Subject: LISP for SUN
We are interested in porting some applications written in LISP on a
(old) Symbolics machine to a SUN SPARC.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a SUN-hosted LISP compiler/interpretor?

Thanks.

Eric

From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: LISP for SUN
In article <··········@hacgate2.hac.com>, ·····@samson.hac.com (Eric Wong) writes:
>We are interested in porting some applications written in LISP on a
>(old) Symbolics machine to a SUN SPARC.
>
>Does anyone have a suggestion for a SUN-hosted LISP compiler/interpretor?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Eric

  Can you tell us a bit more about what features of the Symbolics you used? It
makes a difference if you used flavors, processes, stack groups, ...

--

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@engr.sgi.com
From: Mark McConnell

> In article <··········@hacgate2.hac.com>, ·····@samson.hac.com (Eric Wong) writes:
> >We are interested in porting some applications written in LISP on a
> >(old) Symbolics machine to a SUN SPARC.
> >
> >Does anyone have a suggestion for a SUN-hosted LISP compiler/interpretor?

I have had good results with Carnegie-Mellon Univ. Common Lisp (CMU CL).
This gives very complete compiler messages, so that you know
if your arithmetic code is compiling to quick machine code.
It also comes with profiling tools.

Before that, I had satisfactory results with Austin Kyoto Common Lisp (AKCL,
though it's now changed to Gnu CL, GCL).  This was easy to install
and use, and shareware profiling tools were available.

Both of these are free.  See the FAQ for how to get them by
anonymous ftp.

>   Can you tell us a bit more about what features of the Symbolics you used? It
> makes a difference if you used flavors, processes, stack groups, ...

This is a good point, which my advice doesn't take into account.