From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Lisp, OOP
In article <·········@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu> ····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) writes:

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   From: ····@aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall)
   Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 14:13:44 GMT

   In article <··········@nash.pubnix.net> Ian Garmaise <···@pubnix.net> writes:

   >I have already contacted Harlequin and offered to send them
   >a cheque for Freelisp, they declined.  It is sold only to
   >educational institutions.

   First of all, I think I made clear in my earlier posting that FreeLisp
   was available *only* for academic use. However, given that, my
   understanding is NOT that it is "sold only to educational
   institutions". Originally, I contacted Harlequin about my students
   using it, and was told that my organization (Johns Hopkins University)
   would have to purchase it, then resell to students. Later, however, I
   was told that my students could order directly from Harlequin, and they
   would just have to say that they were using it for purely academic use
   for Johns Hopkins. This is much more attractive to me; I don't have
   to get the department to approve anything, but can just provide the
   information to students (along with info on CLISP, GCL, CMUCL, etc)
   and let them do as they want (or just use LispWorks on the JHU student
   machine).

   I got this info from Nancy Fisher (·······@harlequin.com).

Hope she is reading this thread and starts reconsidering the sale
policies. :)

Actually, here is a suggestion to the vendors: require weekly
digests of 'comp.lang.lisp' from *all* the sales/marketing people
involved in the company :)

Happy lisping

Cheers
--
Marco G. Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
Robotics Lab		| room: 1220 - tel. #: (212) 998 3370
			| WWW:    http://found.cs.nyu.edu/marcoxa

...e` la semplicita` che e` difficile a farsi.
...it is simplicity that is difficult to make.
				Bertholdt Brecht