From: Sabih Gerez
Subject: CMU Lisp readtable bug?
For a specific application we need to read a file in which the character
`|' (the default multiple escape character) should behave as a
"constituent", just like the character `*'. From CLtL(2), I understand that
it should not be difficult to achieve this, viz. using:

	(set-syntax-from-char #\| #\*)

However, this does not have the desired effect in the CMU Lisp
implementation that I am using (the only Lisp available to me at the
moment). The character keeps behaving like a multiple espcape. Here are
some data about the CMU Lisp installation:

CMU Common Lisp 17f, running on sidonia
Send bug reports and questions to your local CMU CL maintainer, sabih, or to
··········@cs.cmu.edu.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.0, target HP-PA 1.1
    CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
    CLX X Library MIT R5.02
    Motif toolkit and graphical debugger 1.0
    Hemlock 3.5

Did I signal a bug or do I overlook something in the reference books?

Thanks in advance for your reactions (I prefer reactions by email and will
summarize to the newsgroup if requested).

Sabih H. Gerez, University of Twente, Dept. of Electr. Engineering (EL-BSC),
P.O. Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands. Tel.: +31-53-893156.
Fax.: +31-53-334701. E-mail: ·········@el.utwente.nl
WWW: http://utelnt.el.utwente.nl/links/gerez

After October 10, 1995: Tel.: +31-53-4893156; Fax: +31-53-4891060.