From: Marty Hall
Subject: Re: Lisp, OOP
········@cs.nps.navy.mil (James C. Cummiskey) writes:
>·····@harlequin.co.uk (Jason Trenouth) writes:

>>  Jason> Its currently restricted to educational/academic users.
>   Jim>   If one is in academia, how does one go about getting a copy
>          of FreeLisp?

You can get it from your Harlequin sales rep. In the US, Nancy Fisher
(·······@harlequin.com) is the Eductional Rep. It comes on two floppy
disks, includes documentation, is interpreted-only and runs on
Windows. Also, it really should be called "VeryCheapLisp", not "FreeLisp",
as it costs $50.
						- Marty

From: Ian Garmaise
Marty,

I have already contacted Harlequin and offered to send them
a cheque for Freelisp, they declined.  It is sold only to
educational institutions.

Ian
From: Marty Hall
In article <··········@nash.pubnix.net> Ian Garmaise <···@pubnix.net> writes:

>I have already contacted Harlequin and offered to send them
>a cheque for Freelisp, they declined.  It is sold only to
>educational institutions.

First of all, I think I made clear in my earlier posting that FreeLisp
was available *only* for academic use. However, given that, my
understanding is NOT that it is "sold only to educational
institutions". Originally, I contacted Harlequin about my students
using it, and was told that my organization (Johns Hopkins University)
would have to purchase it, then resell to students. Later, however, I
was told that my students could order directly from Harlequin, and they
would just have to say that they were using it for purely academic use
for Johns Hopkins. This is much more attractive to me; I don't have
to get the department to approve anything, but can just provide the
information to students (along with info on CLISP, GCL, CMUCL, etc)
and let them do as they want (or just use LispWorks on the JHU student
machine).

I got this info from Nancy Fisher (·······@harlequin.com).

						- Marty
(proclaim '(inline skates))