From: Dennis O'Connor -FT-~
Subject: Re: allocator and GC locality (was Re: cost of malloc)
·····@synopsys.com (Joe Buck) writes:
] Scott Wheeler <······@bmtech.demon.co.uk> writes:
] >] Surely you are not claiming that a Pascal/BASIC-type string arrangement
] >] in memory is going to run at least 3x faster than a typical C++ string?
] >] This strains credibility.
]
] ········@sedona.intel.com (Dennis O'Connor -FT-~) writes:
] >"strlen" sure would. :-)
]
] Dennis, in the ANSI/ISO draft standard for C++ "string" refers to a
] class object, not to the standard C null-terminated character array.

See what happens when you mix overloaded terms with in-progress
entry into the discusion ?  And do you mean "strings" or "Strings" ?

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the various
additional class libraries that are floating around.  I pretty
much stick to the stuff in the ARM and our home-grown purpose-built
classes.  Libraries like NIHCL never seemed to have _exactly_ the
classes I needed ...
--
Dennis O'Connor                            ········@sedona.intel.com
i960(R) Architecture and Core Design       Not an Intel spokesman.