From: Matt Schmill
Subject: does anyone use CLIM abstract gadgets ?
I've beenworking on firing up the abstract gadget classes in CLIM 2.0 with
Lispworks and ran into a bit of a snag. There is no obvious way of updating
a list-pane and refreshing it. Does anyone here know of a way to do this ?

The abstract gadgets aren't stream panes, and there isn't even an accessor
to most of their slots once they've been created (with the obvious exception
of gadget-value). This seems to be a big-time oversight in the CLIM 2.0 spec.
What good is a list-pane if you can never change it ?
From: John Aspinall
Subject: Re: does anyone use CLIM abstract gadgets ?
   From: ·······@earhart.cs.umass.edu (Matt Schmill)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 20 Apr 1995 14:19:40 GMT

   I've beenworking on firing up the abstract gadget classes in CLIM 2.0 with
   Lispworks and ran into a bit of a snag. There is no obvious way of updating
   a list-pane and refreshing it. Does anyone here know of a way to do this ?

A list pane is a member of the class SET-GADGET; gadgets that deal
with discrete sets of items (as are option-panes, radio-boxes, and
check-boxes).  Their set of items is accessed by
CLIM:SET-GADGET-ITEMS, you can can use SETF with this too.

Now it's been pointed out to me that
 (setf (set-gadget-items <my-gadget>) <new-items>)
looks a little wierd due to overloading the word "set".  I agree.

   The abstract gadgets aren't stream panes, and there isn't even an accessor
   to most of their slots once they've been created (with the obvious exception
   of gadget-value). This seems to be a big-time oversight in the CLIM 2.0 spec.
   What good is a list-pane if you can never change it ?

See above.