From: Simon Beaumont
Subject: Is it time to moderate?
This is about comp.lang.lisp (comp.lang.really-lisp?)

I am heartily fed-up with the crosstalk on this line - is there
anything we can do to supress it? Repeated requests to promiscuous
posters appear to have been in vain.

Simon

From: k p c
Subject: Re: Is it time to moderate?
Quoth Simon Beaumont <··············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>:
> This is about comp.lang.lisp (comp.lang.really-lisp?)

Are you using a newsreader with a kill file?  Just on the basis of my
use of a kill file alone, I find this newsgroup to be very low in
volume.

---
···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.  AI, multidisciplinary neuroethology, info filtering.
From: Simon Beaumont
k p c <···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Are you using a newsreader with a kill file?
No - I'm using Netscape - but doesn't a kill file
rely on either the subject or other header field being matched
against some regexp?

> Just on the basis of my
> use of a kill file alone, I find this newsgroup to be very low in
> volume.

Well it used to be... until the dreaded retro-computing thread!
(maybe there's a message in here for comp.lang.lisp :-( )
If this is an isolated, if protracted incident then we will
just have to wait for the thread to die out. If wanton x-posting
is a trend then, being a low volume newgroup, moderation may be
feasible.

If your're into filtering - how about an automatic moderator?

Simon
From: k p c
Quoth Simon Beaumont <··············@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>:
> > Are you using a newsreader with a kill file?

> No - I'm using Netscape - but doesn't a kill file

Now it's beginning to make more sense.  You don't have kill files.
You are asking for moderation.

Why not try getting a newsreader other than Netscape and see if you
change your mind first?  There are dozens of free newsreaders that
have kill files.  If you don't like "retro" then you can kill that
thread.  If you don't like crossposts then you can kill them.

Then you yourself control your news feed to suit your tastes in
threads.

Advisory moderation would let people who want moderation set their
newsreaders to kill all unapproved posts and people who want their
news uncensored read the posts that they want to.  This could be done
automatically or manually, with multiple moderators that you can
choose among.

But you would still need to get a newsreader to use it.

It would be a mistake to assume that a moderator would always share
your tastes in threads, or your threshold for volume, or have the time
to keep up 365.25 days in the year, or be able to handle conflict opf
interest, or be able to recognize a relevant post when he sees one.

And c.l.l is extremely low volume.

Try getting a newsreader and see if you change your mind.

---
···@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.  AI, multidisciplinary neuroethology, info filtering.
DOWN with Caps-Lock!  BOYCOTT keyboard makers when it displaces Control & Meta!