From: Jeff Dalton
Subject: Re: C vs LisP yet again (long but thoughtful)
In article <······················@groucho.cse.psu.edu> ········@groucho.cse.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>·····@rheged.dircon.co.uk (Simon Brooke) writes:
>   This is because I value my time: programmers are expensive, silicon
>   is cheap. Or, to put it another way, people are more important than
>   things.
>
>That sounds suspiciously like you are saying, "I don't care how slow and
>bloated this application is, it was easy to write."  A better philosophy
>is, "other people are important and numerous, so code as efficiently as
>possible in order that they can make the most effective use of their
>things."

Why is your extreme better than the other?  Surely a balance is needed.

>Your analysis of C and Unix misses this important factor.  In the Unix
>community, Perl, and interpreted language, is now very commonly used for
>systems programming.  It's expressive (your point) and efficient (my
>point), and so people often use it instead of C, even though it means

Perl is not "as efficiently as possible".

360K is not very large, especially compared to typical Common Lisps.

-- jeff
From: Scott Schwartz
····@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) writes:
   Surely a balance is needed.

Agreed.

   Perl is not "as efficiently as possible".

Very often it is.  And Perl users are sensible; they look for the
balance you mention above, and discover something that meets their
needs.  The point is that perl is a counterexample to the assertion that
C users are wedded to the idea of arduous low level bit twiddling.

   360K is not very large, especially compared to typical Common Lisps.

Yup.