From: Antonio Lucas Soares
Subject: Help in a development environment decision
Dear coleagues:

I am a doctoral student at the University of Porto - Portugal - and I am looking for a development environment to realize a system that will support my
thesis. My research work is technologically related with object-oriented
analysis and will need to be supported by some kind of knowledge base.
After been looking for packages that were likely to satisfy my needs, I
found that CLOS and Allegro CL\PC a good candidate regarding my
requirements. I am experienced with OO analysis, but I have not so much
experience with OO languages. I have some experience with C++ and
Objective-C.
You would be very kind if you reported to me some experience and answer
me some questions about this system:

1.How much time do I need to "get into" this system, i.e. to start to
produce useful code? (average learning curve) viewing that I am
confortable with the OO technology but I know only "theory" about Lisp?

2.What are the performances of the package with a 486-66Mhz with
sufficient memory?

3.Are there similar packages in the market as an alternative to Allegro
CL\PC?

4.How about the customer support given by Franz Inc.?

5. Should I think in another kind of development environment with C++
and a expert system shell for example?

My feeling is that CLOS and this package are going to be a good option
for my work but I would like to hear from you some impartial comments.

I thank you very much for reading this and if it is the case for your
time in answering to me.

Adeus (bye)!

Antonio Lucas Soares
Department of Electrical and Computers Engineering
Faculty of Engineering University of Porto
4099 Porto Codex
Portugal

email: ยทยทยท@garfield.fe.up.pt
fax: 351-2-319280