From: Neves
Subject: Re: DEFUN unbound.
Jon Lim (ยทยทยทยท@latcs1.lat.oz.au) wrote:
: I keep getting the following message shown below when I load a lisp file
: which has a number of functions into the compiler, and would like to know if
: there is a command in CL which may tell me what line caused the error
: message. I'm currently using AKCL.

: Error: The variable DEFUN is unbound.

You probably forgot a left paren in front of a DEFUN.

Novice Lisp programmers typically see two kinds of errors:

<x> is unbound (where <x> should be a function name but is being
interpreted as a variable)

and

<y> is an undefined function (where <y> should be a variable name but is being
interpreted as a function)

These errors come up because of misplaced parentheses or leaving out a
quote.

For example:

(print (x))
  ;x undefined function