From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Comparison: Beta - Lisp
> So what are these "patterns" anyway?  It sounds as if they are very
> close if not identical to lisp closures.  After all, can't each of the
> above lisp stuff can be implemented as sugar for closures.

From the point of view of a Lisp programmer, a pattern consists of

* a specification of variables (call them "variables" or "closure variables"
  or "slots"), and

* a piece of code which is executed after the storage for the variables has
  been allocated (call it "initialization method" or simply "program").

But that's only one of many aspects of patterns...

                    Bruno Haible
                    ······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de
From: rodrigo vanegas
In article <··········@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>, ······@ma2s2.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de (Bruno Haible) writes:

>> So what are these "patterns" anyway?  It sounds as if they are very
>> close if not identical to lisp closures.  After all, can't each of the
>> above lisp stuff can be implemented as sugar for closures.

> From the point of view of a Lisp programmer, a pattern consists of
>
> * a specification of variables (call them "variables" or "closure variables"
>   or "slots"), and
>
> * a piece of code which is executed after the storage for the variables has
>   been allocated (call it "initialization method" or simply "program").

Ok, so consider the following:

 (lambda (x y) (print "whatever...") (funcall x y))

This lambda abstraction, which evaluates to a closure, has "a
specification of variables", X and Y, and "a piece of code which is
executed after the storage for the variables has been allocated", the
PRINT followed by the FUNCALL.

I don't see any difference yet...

> But that's only one of many aspects of patterns...

Why is it that every explanation of patterns i've come across so far
always includes a "more to come" disclaimer at the end?!  I'm
beginning to wonder if these so called "patterns" can be defined at
all!

rodrigo "tired of playing detective" vanegas
··@cs.brown.edu