From: ·····@labs-n.bbn.com
Subject: RE: another take on "C is faster than lisp"
In article <··········@info-server.bbn.com> ·····@labs-n.bbn.com writes:
-->
--> the problem is that managers think one language fits all, and that
--> language is now C++. this is likely to drive me from being a s/w
--> engineer into being a s/w manager.
-->

sounds like I'm getting ready to join the ranks of the "one language
fits all" group...no, I'm not.

I'm just not going to become a C programmer.

I like to use a woodworking analogy on some of this, since I do a chunk
of that as well.

someone asks me to design and build some piece of furniture. I don't
tell them what tools I'm going to use, what design methods, or any of
that stuff, and they don't ask. we discuss the design, the appearance,
and where it fits into their house.

if they were going to insist on telling me "you aren't allowed to use
*your* table saw, you have to use the gov't standard table-saw, or the
XXX-brand table-saw because that's the one most everyone else has" I'd
tell them to find someone else to build their furniture. I have and use
the tools I have because they are tools which do the job and I like
them. I don't consider the "everyone else is doing it" argument to be
particularly valid...it's like the old line your parents would say to
you when you asked if you could do X because Billy's parents let HIM do
X: if Billy jumped off a bridge, would you insist on doing it too?

 -- clint
From: Telford Tendys
> I'm just not going to become a C programmer. I like to use a woodworking
> analogy on some of this, since I do a chunk of that as well.
>
> someone asks me to design and build some piece of furniture. I don't
> tell them what tools I'm going to use, what design methods, or any of
> that stuff, and they don't ask. we discuss the design, the appearance,
> and where it fits into their house.

They should be interested in the materials you are using, the style of
joints, the surface finish, the upholstery and the precision to which
you can work - just to name a few. Just discussing the design can
involve a host of fiddly details that really can effect the quality
of the finished article. Especially if the item is expected to last
10 or 20 years.

The relationship between producer and consumer is not as simple as
you pretend. Both sides want the job done right.