From: Donald Fisk
Subject: Connecting Symbolics to ASCII Printer
I have recently acquited a Symbolics 3630 and have been trying in vain to
get it to print files on a dot-matrix printer.

The dot matrix printer is connected via the serial I/O port at the back
of the console using an RS-232 connexion.

The printer has been created as a namespace object (type = ASCII,
interface = serial, unit = 0, baud = 1200, Xon-xoff protocol = t,
page size = 66 80.   The site and host have also been assigned values
and the printer has been made the default printer of the site.

In addition to this, I have installed the print spooler software.

The error message I get is

Error: the first argument (STREAM) to STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE, NIL,
was of the wrong type.   Function expected a stream.

I get the same error message when I execute

(hardcopy:make-hardcopy-stream (hardcopy:get-hardcopy-device "EP-1000"))

The printer namespace object is EP-1000.   When I call
(hardcopy:get-hardcopy-device "EP-1000") it returns
#<HCI::ASCII-PRINTER EP-1000 3303022>

I think it expects the stream element type to be CHARACTER, but don't
know how to give it this value, if that is  the problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Le Hibou (mo bheachd fhe/in)
Email: ······@imst.bt.co.uk
From: Guy Footring
Subject: Re: Connecting Symbolics to ASCII Printer
In article <··········@dmsoproto.ida.org>, you write:
|> Donald,
|>
|> Which version of Genera are you running?  Did you the get the printer software for the
|> dot matrix printer? If I recall correctly, there is a separate software package for the
|> DMP vs the laserwriter. I also believe that the TYPE should be DMP. It has been
|> a long time since I worked for symbolics, but I believe I am correct
|>
|> Jon Lane

There's a bug with the ASCII printer stuff, but I don't remember the details of the fix
and most of my doc, notes and my machine are packed away until I finish moving.
It isn't necessary to have the DMP code, unless you want font support and the like.
If Donald has a bulkhead serial port it would be better to use that since the console port
is known to be flakey, though this isn't related to the problem he currently has.

If Donald doesn't get a response from any other quarter he could try contacting
DTL (the UK Symbolics distributor), on 0494-443711, or he could try contacting me
in a couple of months time (0268-702192) when I might have the relevant information
to hand again.

Guy Footring
(Ex Symbolics Ltd. s/w support bod).