From: Lawrence G. Mayka
Subject: USENIX Symposium on Very High Level Languages
I recently received in the mail a brochure for the USENIX Symposium on
Very High Level Languages (October 26-28, in Santa Fe).  Besides the
languages that I expected, like Perl, TCL, and Ksh, presentations will
be given of Icon, Python, and even Standard ML.  Certainly, then, CLOS
(ANSI Common Lisp) has every right to show its flag there too, if it
wishes.  Ordinarily, one might worry that CLOS, as an ANSI-standard
(by the end of the year) programming language, has more to lose than
to gain by attending such an event in such company; but the USENIX
crowd is highly regarded and very influential, so even a few
well-placed converts from there might prove very useful to the CLOS
community.
--
        Lawrence G. Mayka
        AT&T Bell Laboratories

Standard disclaimer.
From: Lawrence G. Mayka
Subject: Re: USENIX Symposium on Very High Level Languages
In article <················@polaris.ih.att.com> ···@polaris.ih.att.com (Lawrence G. Mayka) writes:

   I recently received in the mail a brochure for the USENIX Symposium on
   Very High Level Languages (October 26-28, in Santa Fe).  Besides the
   languages that I expected, like Perl, TCL, and Ksh, presentations will
   be given of Icon, Python, and even Standard ML.  Certainly, then, CLOS
   (ANSI Common Lisp) has every right to show its flag there too, if it
   wishes.  Ordinarily, one might worry that CLOS, as an ANSI-standard
   (by the end of the year) programming language, has more to lose than
   to gain by attending such an event in such company; but the USENIX
   crowd is highly regarded and very influential, so even a few
   well-placed converts from there might prove very useful to the CLOS
   community.

For those who might be interested:

Conference Office is ··········@usenix.org
USENIX Association Executive Office is ······@usenix.org