From: Kerry Koitzsch
Subject: Re: LISP Legacy Systems, Technology, and Archaeology
Re: LISP Legacy Systems, Technology, and Archaeology

Hello LISP experts;

  What with the Symbolics, Lucid, and Thinking Machines situation,
it got me wondering what happens to technology  that is not 'picked up'
by a buyer: what happens, exactly, to Symbolics 'technology' re copyright,
etc? And what ever happed to things like Intellicorps' KEE and SIMKIT?
Maybe someone at Intellicorp, or someone who was at Symbolics could shed some
light on this.Since there are a lot of Lisp machine legacy systems still running
out there, it'd be interesting to get some perspectives. Thanks, kerry
(·····@crl.com)
From: Kelly Murray
In article <··········@crl.crl.com>, ·····@crl.com (Kerry Koitzsch) writes:
|>   What with the Symbolics, Lucid, and Thinking Machines situation,
|> it got me wondering what happens to technology  that is not 'picked up'
|> by a buyer: what happens, exactly, to Symbolics 'technology' re copyright,
|> etc? And what ever happed to things like Intellicorps' KEE and SIMKIT?
|> Maybe someone at Intellicorp, or someone who was at Symbolics could shed some
|> light on this.Since there are a lot of Lisp machine legacy systems still running
|> out there, it'd be interesting to get some perspectives. Thanks, kerry

In general if a company goes out of business and nobody buys their rights,
the rights disappear.  So you can "steal" the technology because there is
nobody to sue you.  But a company can still "exist" and keep their rights
without actually operating. Typically assets are sold to the highest
bidder, or if there is debt, the debtors get the rights, even if they
don't do anything with them.  I'm no lawyer, but this is my understanding.

--
- Kelly Murray  (···@prl.ufl.edu) <a href="http://www.prl.ufl.edu">
-University of Florida Parallel Research Lab </a> 96-node KSR1, 64-node nCUBE