From: ·····@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: Macintosh Common Lisp or Smalltalk Agents?
········@gate.net (Mark Reichert) writes:

>Might anyone have a used copy of Macintosh Common Lisp or Smalltalk Agents
>that they're willing to part with?  Would like to try either one out.
>Thanks a lot.

If I may just throw in my 2 cents worth:

Over the past year I've worked extensively with MCL and have recently switched
over to STA.  My feelings right now are that if I wanted to do some really
(and I mean really) quick & dirty hack and wasn't too worried about  a GUI
networking, or other fancy OS issues, I'd probably whip out my copy of MCL.

If on the other hand, I were working on a long-term project that would need
to be maintained, run on a variety of platforms with rel. of ease, keeping
the same interface, or doing a lot of Mac windowing stuff, I'd without
hesitation use STA.

A friend of mine & I had many long discussions about MCL vs. STA, and both of
us ended up leaning towards STA.  They're both great environments.  After
using MCL for so long I couldn't go back to 'C' so I use STA now because some
things aren't easily done in MCL (and visa versa, BTW).

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough.  Good luck!

--X

ps.  And no, I won't part with either!  ;-)

--X