From: Peter Shepherd
Subject: Visual LISP ??
I am trying to find a Common LISP implementation with MS Windows GUI tools.
Most of what I found in the FAQ is X Windows based.  Could anyone supply me
with the name of a UK supplier of Software Engineer by Raindrop, I think this
may do what I'm after.  Alternatively does anyone know of other products which
could do for Common LISP what MS Visual BASIC has done for BASIC.

Many thanks for any suggestions/information.

Regards,

Pete Shepherd.

From: Peter Pun
Subject: Re: Visual LISP ??
From: ···@specialform.com
In article <···················@dmu.ac.uk>, <········@dmu.ac.uk> writes:
> [...] Alternatively does anyone know of other products which
> could do for Common LISP what MS Visual BASIC has done for BASIC.

You mean, something that will turn DBase programmers into Lisp hackers? ;>

I can't compare it to VB, but I use Franz Allegro CommonLisp for Windows
2.0. ACL has a very nice Interface Builder. There's a GUI for building windows,
panes, dialog boxes, menus etc. Property sheets are used to modify default
settings. You can import and export to Lisp code for inclusion with your
application. At some point it becomes easier to modify the code by hand; the
code is fairly legible, and the API is robust and well documented. ACL supports
foreign function calls, generating DLLs and standalone applications... what
else would you look for?

Oh yes, ACL is compatible somewhere "between" CLTL 1 and 2 (:-) and comes with
good development tools. They're supposed to be coming out with a WinEmacs
interface, then I can stop mourning for my old Lisp Machine.

Cheers,

 -kmc