From: TV Raman
Subject: Porting out of Lucid to better available Lisps:
Hi,

I built a large system (35,000+) lines of lisp-clos code for my thesis at Cornell.
This system was implemented under Lucid Common Lisp-clos.

With Lucid now having disappeared, it's becoming a problem for a few sites
that would like to use my system.

The system as it exists runs well enough at sites that have a Lucid copy, but
if someone does not have a Lucid license, there is now no way that they can
buy one.

My question: What are the issues involved in porting from Lucid to CMU Common
Lisp?

My code is 99.9% CLTL1+ compliant, and I rely on Lucid's run-program for
interfacing with things outside the lisp world.

--Raman

Best Regards,
--raman

      Digital Equipment Corporation       CRL:    617/621-6637 DTN: 259-6637
      Cambridge Research Lab              FAX:    617/621-6650 DTN: 259-6650
      One Kendall Square, Bldg 700        INET:   ·····@crl.dec.com
      Cambridge, MA 02139                 PROJS:  AUDIO-WWW, Multimedia Research
           http://www.crl.dec.com/crl/people/biographies/raman.html
           http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
            as representative of my employer Digital Equipment Corporation.

From: Dave Dyer
Subject: Re: Porting out of Lucid to better available Lisps:
    : My question: What are the issues involved in porting from Lucid to CMU Common
    : Lisp?

    : My code is 99.9% CLTL1+ compliant, and I rely on Lucid's run-program for
    : interfacing with things outside the lisp world.

In that case, you shouldn't have any great difficulty.  I've
personally worked with even larger systems that could be compiled
under lucid, franz, or harlequin lisp.

Even in the .1% of non-cl code, lucid, franz, and harlequin tend to have
very similar nonstandard extensions which cover the same ground, albeit
in slightly incompatible ways.