From: James Alan Riechel
Subject: Strange error:  "Tokens cannot consist entirely of dots"
Fellow lisp hackers,

	I've recently begun to get the following error message:

	"Tokens cannot consist entirely of dots."

I am using lucid version 4.0.1 on IBM RS/6000 machines.  Unfortunately,
the lucid manuals do not include an appendix (or other section) listing
all possible errors and giving descriptions.  Futhermore, an extensive
search of the index provided no references to anything helpful.

	Help in understanding the cause of this error is requested.

Thank you,
James Riechel
········@cc.gatech.edu

p.s.  Please reply by e-mail as I do not normally read this news group.

From: Thomas A. Russ
In article <...> ········@cc.gatech.edu (James Alan Riechel) writes:

 > Fellow lisp hackers,
 >
 > 	I've recently begun to get the following error message:
 >
 > 	"Tokens cannot consist entirely of dots."
 >

 > 	Help in understanding the cause of this error is requested.

Sounds like you are trying to read in some form that was written with
*print-length* not set to NIL.  When the list gets too long, ellipses
(...) are output.  When you try to read this in again, the reader chokes
on the elided part of the written form.

 > p.s.  Please reply by e-mail as I do not normally read this news group.

It won't kill you to read the group for at least a little while after
you post a question.  After all, you expect at least one of us to take
the time to answer your question.

Thomas A. Russ,  Senior Research Scientist                   ···@isi.edu
USC/Information Sciences Institute                  WWW:  http://isi.edu
4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292          (310) 822-1511x775
From: James Alan Riechel
········@cc.gatech.edu (James Alan Riechel) writes:

>Fellow lisp hackers,

>	I've recently begun to get the following error message:

>	"Tokens cannot consist entirely of dots."

>I am using lucid version 4.0.1 on IBM RS/6000 machines.  Unfortunately,
>the lucid manuals do not include an appendix (or other section) listing
>all possible errors and giving descriptions.  Futhermore, an extensive
>search of the index provided no references to anything helpful.

>	Help in understanding the cause of this error is requested.

>Thank you,
>James Riechel
>········@cc.gatech.edu

>p.s.  Please reply by e-mail as I do not normally read this news group.

Just want to thank everyone who helped me out understanding this error.

As it turns out, I have a function which creates and packs a Klos definition
into a string which in then evaluated using (read-from-string).  I believe this
is necessary:  (a) to do two (or more) level macro expansion, and (b) to be
able to include special symbols (e.g. colons) in macros of type (a).  The number,
name and initforms of slots is defined by a parameter to this function.  I need
to set *print-level to NIL.

Thanks again,
James Riechel
········@cc.gatech.edu