From: Mark Kantrowitz
Subject: Re: GNU CL 1.0? Re: Writing a small Lisp
> From: ·······@prism.gatech.edu (Robert Sanders)
> Date: 28 May 1994 11:21:38 -0400
>
>   Perhaps the FAQ should be updated to reflect the repackaging of AKCL
>   as GNU Common Lisp 1.0 (available from ftp.cli.com).  The new licensing
>   is a bit easier for most people to deal with.

I updated the FAQ a few days ago and it will appear on the next
regular posting, on the 13th.

--mark

   GNU Common Lisp (GCL) is a free implementation of Common Lisp (CLtL1)
   based originally on Austin Kyoto Common Lisp (AKCL). Versions 1.0
   and above of GCL (aka version 1-625 and above of AKCL) are
   available under the GNU General Public Library License v2.0, and no
   longer require the kcl.tar file to build the system. For
   information on previous versions of AKCL, see the KCL entry. GCL
   generates C code which it compiles with the local optimizing C
   compiler (e.g., GCC).  It is intended to eventually support the
   ANSI standard for Common Lisp. GCL version 1.0 and above are
   available by anonymous ftp from
      ftp.cli.com:/pub/gcl/		[192.31.85.129]
      math.utexas.edu:/pub/gcl/		[128.83.133.215]
   as the file gcl-X.X.tgz (e.g., gcl-1.0.tgz), and from
      rascal.ics.utexas.edu:/pub/akcl/ 	[128.83.138.20]
   as the file akcl-X-X.tgz, where XX should be replaced with the version
   number; you'll generally want the largest version number. The
   bandwidth to rascal and math is higher than cli. For more information, write
   to Bill Schelter <···@math.utexas.edu> (or <···@cli.com>,
   <···@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>).