From: R J Williams
Subject: discrete event simulation in CL
Hello,

Does anyone know of a discrete event simulation engine written in Common
Lisp.  The reason I ask is that I have a time stepped simulation which
is being developed to model agent based systems but due to performance
constraints I would like to adopt a discrete event model.

Thanks for your help,

Rod
----
Roderick Williams          ············@cbl.leeds.ac.uk

From: Scott D. Anderson
Subject: Re: discrete event simulation in CL

   Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.lang.lisp
   From: ····@cbl.leeds.ac.uk (R J Williams)
   Sender: ····@leeds.ac.uk
   Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 12:30:49 GMT

   Does anyone know of a discrete event simulation engine written in Common
   Lisp.  The reason I ask is that I have a time stepped simulation which
   is being developed to model agent based systems but due to performance
   constraints I would like to adopt a discrete event model.

   Thanks for your help,

   Rod
   ----
   Roderick Williams          ············@cbl.leeds.ac.uk

Here are two that might be approprate for you:

TRUCKWORLD is a discrete-event simulator from Steve Hanks's research group at
the University of Washington.  It includes agents (trucks with robot arms) that
can act in a simulated environment of roads that includes exogenous events (such
as rain that can make the roads slippery).  That may be more of a commitment to
a particular world than you want.  Contact them at
························@cs.washington.edu

MICE is a discrete-event simulator from Ed Durfee's research group at the
University of Michigan.  I think it allows more freedom for implementing ones
own agents and world than does TRUCKWORLD.  Try sending mail to
······@caen.engin.umich.edu

I'm working on a discrete-event simulator that will be a successor to PHOENIX,
but it's not ready for release.  It will combine the features I like best from
PHOENIX, TRUCKWORLD and MICE.  If you want, contact me in a few months and I'll
give you a copy.

I hope this helps.

Scott D. Anderson
········@cs.umass.edu
From: Nathaniel Martin
>Does anyone know of a discrete event simulation engine written in Common
>Lisp.  The reason I ask is that I have a time stepped simulation which

The TRAINS World Simulator is a discrete event simulator with a CLIM
front end.  It's implemented in Allegro Common Lisp 4.2 with CLIM 2.0.
It is set up to run a simulation of a transportation domain, but has a
causal model that can be modified easily (Well, relatively easily).
Agents can be simulated either by specifying a set of conditions and
actions.  (Whenever the conditions are true that agent performs the
action) or by connecting your own program to the system through TCP.

--
Nathaniel G. Martin           Department of Computer Science
······@cs.rochester.edu       University of Rochester