From: Jim Grundy
Subject: Re: Linux AKCL???
In article <···················@ignatz.bridge.com>, ······@bridge.com (Kaelin Colclasure) writes:
|> In article <·····················@hisplace.rhein-main.de> ·····@hisplace.rhein-main.de (Marko Schuetz) writes:
|>
|>    ······@bridge.com (Kaelin Colclasure) writes:
|>
|>    >I note that the Linux FTP sites carry a version of AKCL for Linux, but
|>    >according to at least one poster on comp.lang.lisp it does not work on
|>    >the "current" Linices.  I believe the specific problem cited was that
|>    >dumped lisp images would not execute.
|>
|>    >Could some successful AKCL user out there refute this report for me?
|>    >What is the current status of the port?  Is anyone actively working
|>    >with it?
|>
|>    I am actually looking for a good CommonLisp compiler, myself.
|>    I'd prefer CMU, but don't know if there is a port for Linux, it
|>    seems not.

Hi

I think the post you were refering to is mine.  So, I'll let you know how
I got on.

There is an AKCL binary at sunsite, but it doesn't work.   This binary
is a version of AKCL-1-615.   It runs on my machine by some of its file
handeling just doesn't seem to work.   There is source code also available
from sunsite, but it doesn't work either.   It requires an old version of
libc that is no longer part of current Linux distribution.

The latest version of AKCL (1-625) comes with linux support,  so just ftp
it from the AKCL site and you sould be away.   Note that I had some problem
building recent versions of AKCL with the problem being the one you noted
that the dumped lisp image would not work.   Anyway, I was running an
installation of Slackware 1.1.2.   On the weekend I upgraded my kernal
to 1.0.8 (I don't this this made the difference) and installed the
delvelopment (D series) disks for Slackware 1.2 with the lastest versions
of the C libraries.   After that, AKCL-1-625 compiled straight out of the box.

So, the moral of the story is.  AKCL-1-625 works, and if it doesn't upgrade
your Linux installation's kernal, C compiler, and C libraries until it does.

Jim

Information Technology Division        |
Building 171 Laboratories Area         | phone: +61 8 2596162
PO Box 1500                            | fax:   +61 8 2595980
Salisbury  SA  5108                    | email: ···@itd.dsto.gov.au
AUSTRALIA                              | telex: AA82799