From: Cyber Surfer
Subject: Re: CLISP
In article <··········@tove.cs.umd.edu>,
····@cs.umd.edu (John R. Bane) writes:

> >I know that CLISP compiles with DJGPP, but does that create Win32s
> >binaries?
>
> No.
>
> (It's only in recent versions that the DJGPP DOS-extender was
> even capable of running in a DOS shell under Windows.)

So, does GNU C support Win32 or not? Win32s binaries are the same
as Win32s binaries. The only difference is at runtime, as some
function calls will fail under Win32s.

Martin Rodgers

Actually, I think I wrote the "No..." reply below.

>> >I know that CLISP compiles with DJGPP, but does that create Win32s
>> >binaries?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> (It's only in recent versions that the DJGPP DOS-extender was
>> even capable of running in a DOS shell under Windows.)
>
>So, does GNU C support Win32 or not? Win32s binaries are the same
>as Win32s binaries. The only difference is at runtime, as some
>function calls will fail under Win32s.
>
>Martin Rodgers
>
>--- Cyber Surfing on CIX ---

The answer was no.  If it runs in a DOS shell under Windows, it's
a DOS program, not a Windows program.  That's how I see it.

However... I am embarrased to say that I've looked at the DJGPP
readme file more closely, and now I'm not sure whether "No" was
actually the correct answer.

DJGPP can be gotten from omnigate.clarkson.edu in
/ftp/pub/msdos/djgpp.  Maybe you can decide for yourself based on
the README and new features files.

--

Marshall Abrams                                  ····@midway.uchicago