From: Ken Anderson
Subject: Re: C parser as Lisp front-end
In article <······················@lmpsbbs.comm.mot.com> ······@comm.mot.com (Pinku Surana) writes:

   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   From: ······@comm.mot.com (Pinku Surana)
   Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 22:26:45 GMT
   Sender: ····@lmpsbbs.comm.mot.com (Net News)

   I am thinking about sticking a C parser as a front-end to a
   Lisp program in an effort to speed up execution time compared
   to Zebu or some other Lisp parser. Has anyone attempted this?

I think you time might be better spent understanding what it is about your
parser that is slow and making it faster.  Having it in C may not help.

   More precisely, is there a method for communicating structures
   and trees and other data structures between Lisp programs and
   external C programs? I am using AKCL, and a YACC-like parser.

Well, your parser could produce list structures that Lisp could just READ.

Ken Anderson
Internet: ·········@bbn.com
BBN STC              Work Phone: 617-873-3160
10 Moulton St.       Home Phone: 617-643-0157
Mail Stop 6/4c              FAX: 617-873-3776
Cambridge MA 02138
USA