From: ·····@levels.unisa.edu.au
Subject: How to read lines typed & waited for.
I would like to read in the name of a person with an arbitrary number
or parts without having to be concerned about interpretation of parentheses,
and wait for the user at a terminal to type the characters in.

READ waits, but reads in only until the first space, and reads in expressions.

READ-LINE reads in the whole line but does not wait.

I am using XLISP 2.1 for WINDOWS

--
Raymond Kennington                | Act in haste and repent at leisure
                                  | Code too soon and debug forever
University of South Australia     | ....Dale and Lily (I think)
Computer and Information Science  | Knobs, knobs everywhere,
Levels                            |        just vary a knob to think!
Pooraka 5095                      | ....Metamagical Themas, Hofsta"dter
South Australia
From: Pete Grant
Subject: Re: How to read lines typed & waited for.
In article <·················@fnord.lehman.com> ···@lehman.com (Rick Busdiecker) writes:
>In article <············@early-bird.think.com> ······@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>
>   The solution I've used is to do a FLUSH-INPUT after the READ, to clear out
>   the input buffer.
>

>To do a what?!
> ..[etc.]

I'm surprised that Barry gave a non-common lisp answer. He's usually
precise and on the money with his responses. :-)

Anyway, I saw the original posting and wondered what the question
really was.  It's time to end this thread...

To original poster:  What exactly is the problem/question?  What
behavior are you after?  Send me E-mail and I'll answer.

Pete.