From: Larry Hunter
Subject: GRUMBLE about /=
Pardon me, but I have to vent some spleen.

Whose brilliant idea was it to make "/=" be not equal???  I just spent too
damn long tracking down a bug which occurred when someone used "\=" when
they meant "/=".  What a nasty failure mode for an easy-to-make,
hard-to-spot typo!  What's wrong with "<>"?

*grumble*

Larry

--
Lawrence Hunter, PhD.
National Library of Medicine

From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind
Subject: Re: GRUMBLE about /=
   What's wrong with "<>"?

Using <> to mean `less than or greater than' much in the same way that
<= means `less then or equal to' only makes sense for domains that are
orderable (like the reals). `Not equal' is a more general notion that applies
even to unordered domains like complex numbers. Hence the metaphor of <> would
be inappropriate for a `not equals' predicate.
	Jeff
From: Larry Hunter
    <My rant about the stupidity of "/=" for not-equal  deleted>
    What's wrong with "<>"?

  Using <> to mean `less than or greater than' much in the same way that <=
  means `less then or equal to' only makes sense for domains that are
  orderable (like the reals).

OK, fine, good point.  How about "n="
From: Mike McDonald
In article <·················@qobi.ai.toronto.edu>, ····@qobi.ai.toronto.edu (Jeffrey Mark Siskind) writes:
|>    What's wrong with "<>"?
|>
|> Using <> to mean `less than or greater than' much in the same way that
|> <= means `less then or equal to' only makes sense for domains that are
|> orderable (like the reals). `Not equal' is a more general notion that applies
|> even to unordered domains like complex numbers. Hence the metaphor of <> would
|> be inappropriate for a `not equals' predicate.
|> 	Jeff

  By your reasoning, /= (ie divide equals) doesn't make much sense either. My
personal preference would have been !=. I've often seen ! to mean not, hence !=
means not equal.

  Mike McDonald				Advanced Technology Dept.
					Harris Corp.
  Email: ···@trantor.harris-atd.com	M.S. 16-1912
  Voice: (407) 727-5060			P.O. Box 37
  Fax:   (407) 729-3363			Melbourne, Florida 32902
From: Jeffrey Mark Siskind
In article <··········@jabba.ess.harris.com> ···@trantor.harris-atd.com (Mike McDonald) writes:

     By your reasoning, /= (ie divide equals) doesn't make much sense either.
   My
   personal preference would have been !=. I've often seen ! to mean not,
   hence !=
   means not equal.

`!' meaning `not' is a metaphor particular to some languages and not others.
For instance, in conventional mathematical notations `!' means factorial and
`~' or the TeX symbol $\neg$ means `not'. Traditional mathematical notation
uses a slash through an infix predicate symbol to mean its negation, as in
the TeX symbol $\not=$. I assume that using /= to mean `not equal' derives from
that tradition. Furthermore, since traditionally a forward slash through a
symbol is used to indicate negation, not a backslash, /= is a reasonable
metaphor in contrast to \=. This fortuitously jives with the fact that in
CommonLisp (like C for that matter), \ is an escape character while / is not.
	Jeff
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··········@jabba.ess.harris.com> ···@trantor.harris-atd.com (Mike McDonald) writes:
>  By your reasoning, /= (ie divide equals) doesn't make much sense either. My
>personal preference would have been !=. I've often seen ! to mean not, hence !=
>means not equal.

I've only seen ! used to mean "not" in C.  At the time CL was being
designed C wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.  If they were going to
steal from another language, Pascal probably would have been the language
of choice at the time.  I don't remember what it uses as "not" (perhaps
"~", as in PL/I?).

/= was chosen because it almost looks like the mathematical not-equals
sign.  Most people write that as an equals sign with a diagonal slash.
Perhaps a better choice would have been =/=.

From: Mike McDonald
In article <············@early-bird.think.com>, ······@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
|> In article <··········@jabba.ess.harris.com> ···@trantor.harris-atd.com (Mike McDonald) writes:
|> >  By your reasoning, /= (ie divide equals) doesn't make much sense either. My
|> >personal preference would have been !=. I've often seen ! to mean not, hence !=
|> >means not equal.
|>
|> I've only seen ! used to mean "not" in C.  At the time CL was being

  I've seen ! used for not in boolean logic, ie !(A + B). It's hard to draw a bar
over things in ascii.

|> designed C wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.  If they were going to
|> steal from another language, Pascal probably would have been the language
|> of choice at the time.  I don't remember what it uses as "not" (perhaps
|> "~", as in PL/I?).

  Pascal uses <>.

|> /= was chosen because it almost looks like the mathematical not-equals
|> sign.  Most people write that as an equals sign with a diagonal slash.
|> Perhaps a better choice would have been =/=.
|> --
|> Barry Margolin
|> System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.
|>
|> ······@think.com          {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

  To me, /= just doesn't look like a slash thru an equals sign. Not that it
matters much now.

From: Richard Levitte
In article <··········@jabba.ess.harris.com> ···@trantor.harris-atd.com (Mike McDonald) writes:
   In article <············@early-bird.think.com>, ······@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

[...]

   |> designed C wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.  If they were going to
   |> steal from another language, Pascal probably would have been the language
   |> of choice at the time.  I don't remember what it uses as "not" (perhaps
   |> "~", as in PL/I?).

     Pascal uses <>.

Depends on what you answer to.  "not" in Pascal is written "not".  "not equal"
is, as you say, written "<>"

[...]

     To me, /= just doesn't look like a slash thru an equals sign. Not that it
   matters much now.

Neither does it to me.  =/= does, on the other hand, but it's (gasp) all those
3 characters :-).

--
! Richard Levitte, VMS GNU Emacs hacker   ! tel: int+46-8-18 30 99            !