From: Michael P. Hartley
Subject: Re: Witty definition of your programming language
|>In article <··········@zippo.uwasa.fi>, Timo Salmi <··@uwasa.fi> wrote:
|>>
|>>Real programmers don't need a favorite programming language.  They
|>>use COPY CON MYPROG.COM

|>REAL(tm) programmers don't use DOS.  They have to do 'cat > a.out'.  For
|>those oh so rare occasions when they need to earn a living, they run
|>'cat > lunch.exe' (in secret, of course ;-).

|>True REAL(tm) programmers refuse to admit that DOS even exists.  This credo
|>roughly parallels the fervor in which a health-nut denies the existence of
|>the sumptuous jelly donut ...

Hah!  They are all wrong..  the spirit of the programmer resides in the very
essence of the machine...  his body is the mb, is brain the CPU...  a true
REAL(tm) programmer breathes electricity, can feel it coursing through his
veins.  He (yes, HE!) can glance at some code, and run it through in his
mind.  He can feel what the drives are doing, when the full write-through
cache is about to miss, and when his dirty tag bit says it is time to
refresh himself...

   HE IS A GOD!! (over his 128 megabyte universe running at 66 Mhz)
   With the ultimate power in his universe..  the power to abruptly, without
mercy, end the exsistance of all of his creations...  Sending them back to
the nether world of disk storage...

   He can turn the power off....

        "What I say is MINE!  Do you HEAR?! MINE! ALL MINE!!"
                                 -Stac to Microsoft, 1/93 to 3/94
                                 -Intel to Everybody, Everytime
  Michael P. Hartley                       |  Physicist by Choice
  late of ········@mentor.cc.purdue.edu    |  Poor by act of Congress
  ·······@afds.hobbes.cca.cr.rockwell.com  |  Bankrupt by act of Clinton

From: Juergen Wagner
In article <··················@HOBBES.CCA.CR.ROCKWELL.COM> "Michael P. Hartley" <············@HOBBES.CCA.CR.ROCKWELL.COM> writes:

>|>REAL(tm) programmers don't use DOS.  They have to do 'cat > a.out'.  For
>|>those oh so rare occasions when they need to earn a living, they run
>|>'cat > lunch.exe' (in secret, of course ;-).
>
>|>True REAL(tm) programmers refuse to admit that DOS even exists.  This credo
>|>roughly parallels the fervor in which a health-nut denies the existence of
>|>the sumptuous jelly donut ...
>

>Hah!  They are all wrong..  the spirit of the programmer resides in the very
>essence of the machine...  his body is the mb, is brain the CPU...  a true
>REAL(tm) programmer breathes electricity, can feel it coursing through his
>veins.  He (yes, HE!) can glance at some code, and run it through in his
>mind.  He can feel what the drives are doing, when the full write-through
>cache is about to miss, and when his dirty tag bit says it is time to
>refresh himself...
>
>   HE IS A GOD!! (over his 128 megabyte universe running at 66 Mhz)
>   With the ultimate power in his universe..  the power to abruptly, without
>mercy, end the exsistance of all of his creations...  Sending them back to
>the nether world of disk storage...

What do you mean? 128 Megabyte universe? 66 MHz?? A simple 6502 inside
an Apple-II is enough. How can the REAL(tm) programmer breathe the
spirit of the bits, feel the electricity creeping through the wires of
that computer until it reaches the disk (oops... sorry, FLOPPY)
drives, each capable of holding the unbelievable amount of 143 kB
data. And the formatting isn't one of the simple ones, no...

Ahh... these were the times, when computers had 16 kB of memory, and
you could really fit serious programs in that space...

[Insert numerous smilies :-) in random places in the above message.]

How decadent we are, now there's that SPARC 10/512 with 80 MB real
memory, 4 GB of disk spaceand audio/video stuff sitting under my
desk... On the other hand, has anybody tried Motif on an Apple-II? :-(

--Juergen Wagner

········@iao.fhg.de
·······@csli.stanford.edu

Fraunhofer-Institut fuer Arbeitswirtschaft und Organisation (FhG-IAO)
Nobelstr. 12c					Voice: +49-711-970-2013
D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany			Fax:   +49-711-970-2299
For more information/detail, please do "finger ·······@csli.stanford.edu".