From: Greg Trafton
Subject: loading .lisp (different suffix) files in clisp
Hi, all.  I'm running clisp where the suffix (extention) is .lsp and
most of my files end in .lisp .  I'm sure this is a stupid question
(though I've looked in the FAQ) but how can I make clisp load .lisp
files without specifying the .lisp every time?  In other words, I want
to say (load "foo") instead of (load "foo.lisp").

many thanks for any suggestions!
Greg Trafton
(·······@clarity.princeton.edu)
From: Marcus Daniels
Subject: Re: loading .lisp (different suffix) files in clisp

In article <·····················@clarity.princeton.edu> ·······@clarity.princeton.edu (Greg Trafton) writes:

GT> and most of my files end in .lisp .  I'm sure this is a stupid
GT> question (though I've looked in the FAQ) but how can I make clisp
GT> load .lisp files without specifying the .lisp every time?  In
GT> other words, I want to say (load "foo") instead of (load
GT> "foo.lisp").

You don't.  I usually just use a shell script, like:

#!/bin/sh
fromsfx=lisp
tosfx=lsp
for d in `find . -type d -print`
do
(cd $d
for f in `ls -1 | grep "\.${fromsfx}$"`
do
fnew=`basename $f .$fromsfx`.${tosfx}
echo Renaming $f to $fnew
mv $f $fnew
done)
done

I've got a portable Perl script for DOS around here somewhere...

If you really want to change it, look at init.lsp and compiler.lsp.
Recompile them, load them, do a (saveinitmem), rename it to compiled.mem, etc.

Making this customizable, or extending it to common suffixes,
seems of dubious usefulness.