From: STEB
Subject: books or papers?
From: Daniel Finster
Subject: Re: books or papers?
In article <··········@news.doit.wisc.edu> ····@MACC.WISC.EDU (STEB) writes:

   From: ····@MACC.WISC.EDU (STEB)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 13 Jun 1994 08:33:39 CDT

   Along these same lines, are there any good discussions of the old Lisp
   Machines? Say like Bach's book on System V Unix or the little devil book on
   BSD? Pointers to net sources would be preferable...my wallet is not exactly
   healthy these days. Thanks in advance.

Sorry it took so long to post this, but as I was typing it all in, the
machine crashed (Damn Unix).  Anyways, here is it, I hope you enjoy!
This book is a little hard to find, but you'll prolly find it pretty
cheap.

Title: Artificial Intelligence: An MIT Perspective
Subtitle: Volume 2: Understanding Vision,
                    Manipulation and Productivity Technology,
                    Computer Design and Symbol Manipulation
Editors: Patrick Henry Winston and Richard Henry Brown
Section: The Lisp Machine
Section Authors: Alan Bawden, Richard Greenblatt, Jack Holloway,
                 Tomas Knight, David Moon, Daniel Weinreb
Synopsis: "For many years, the PDP-10 computer has been the workhorse
of Artificial Intelligence.  But many factors conspire to make serious
researchers want more than PDP-10's can provide.  The Arificial
Intelligence Laboratory's LISP machine is the way to satisfy these
wants.  Among its advantages are a large address space, hardware data
types, a general, large microcode that can be compiled into talented
pointer-manipulating instructions, a real-time garbage collector, a
powerful editor, LISP used as a system implementation language,
reasonable speed, and perhaps most important, a low price.  Some of
the inspiration for the LISP Machine project comes from the pioneering
research into personal computing and display-oriented systems done by
Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center.  For a time, the LISP machine work
was a joint project between the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and
the Laboratory of Computer Science."
Publisher: MIT Press
Year: 1979
ISBN: 0-262-23097-6 (hardback)