From: Anthony G. Francis
Subject: Trouble with Free Common LISPs for NeXTSTEP/Intel
I'm trying to build a version of Common Lisp for a NeXTSTEP for Intel system.
I have a 486/33 with 20MB RAM and approximately 0.7GB of disk space running
NeXTSTEP 3.2. Because of the cost of the system, I've been focusing on free
versions of Common Lisp and have been having ... well, less than stellar
success.

I have tried the following systems:
	AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp)
	GCL (Gnu Common Lisp 1.0)
	XLISP
	CLISP

The only one of these to even get close to running was XLISP, which was not
sufficiently Common Lisp compatible for my purposes (and even then, I
found that out by running a DOS executable, not a NeXT version). I have
not yet tried CMU Common Lisp, which, to my knowledge, has not been
officially ported to NeXT systems of any variety. (Anyone with knowledge
to the contrary, please let me know ...)

The AKCL/GCL pair partially compile, but the system seems to be optimized
to run on NeXT for Motorola processors. Despite some hackery to the system
files to try to convince the system to use all 386 assembler code,
incorrect "trap" instructions are generated that cause the build to bomb.
Is there a patch for the Intel version?

CLISP successfully builds the system as far as the bare lisp.run binary,
but the binary refuses to load, causing segmentation errors when run
standalone and other memory errors from within the build. Suggestions,
anyone? It *appears* to build fine until that point...

The end goal of this whole process is to get first Common Lisp, then
CLX (the Common Lisp X extensions), then Garnet (a CMU windowing toolkit)
and then finally Moore (my thesis research project!) running on my
home NeXT. (This was part of the attraction of CLISP; Garnet and CLX
run on it. CMUCL also has the same attraction). Any suggestions
on how to achieve some or all of the steps of this process would
be greatly appreciated.

-Anthony Francis
 AI/Cognitive Science Group
 College of Computing