From: Arthur Rother
Subject: Lisp in C or C++
I've  got to write a compiler in C or C++ code.
The source of this is in Lisp. I've tried to
transfer this code to C but failed (e.g. with the
Garbagecollector). It takes time to be sure it runs
correctly.
Thinking, I'm not the first with this problem, ask you,
dear reader, if you have a sourcecode in C or C++ implementing
Lispfunctions (Just the basic ones).
Another solution is a Lisp-compiler, to build an .EXE file
out of my LispCode, wich doesn't cost loads of Money.
It has to work in DOS or Windows (Windows would be even better,
maybe even with features to manipulate Windows). Maybe something
Sharewarish, or PD.

Please Post or Mail to ····@cs.tu-berlin.de

I say thank you if you do so, it would help me a lot
From: Hans Boehm
Subject: Re: Lisp in C or C++
····@cs.tu-berlin.de (Arthur Rother) writes:

>I've  got to write a compiler in C or C++ code.
>The source of this is in Lisp. I've tried to
>transfer this code to C but failed (e.g. with the
>Garbagecollector). It takes time to be sure it runs
>correctly.
>Thinking, I'm not the first with this problem, ask you,
>dear reader, if you have a sourcecode in C or C++ implementing
>Lispfunctions (Just the basic ones).
>Another solution is a Lisp-compiler, to build an .EXE file
>out of my LispCode, wich doesn't cost loads of Money.
>It has to work in DOS or Windows (Windows would be even better,
>maybe even with features to manipulate Windows). Maybe something
>Sharewarish, or PD.

There is a conservative garbage collector for C/C++ in
parcftp.xerox.com:pub/gc/gc.tar.Z.  This should make it fairly easy
to implement the basic Lisp primitives in C.  (Soemone else may have
done so.)  See the recent discussion in comp.lang.misc and
comp.object about the plusses and minusses of using this route.

(This currently runs under most flavors of UNIX and under win32S.
I have only crosscompiled code for Windows 3.1 under Windows NT.
But my understanding is that it should be possible to develop under
Windows 3.1 with the right set of tools.  There are other conservative
garbage collectors available for use under DOS.)

Hans-J. Boehm
(·····@parc.xerox.com)