From: Tom Legrady
Subject: Your favourite IDE feature ?
I am writing a report on integrated development environments for a new
computer package which is under development.

I am of course doing research into what the experts consider crucial
for effective development, but I would also like a sense of what the
actual users, on a variety of platforms, at different levels of
experience, find helpfull and beneficial.

For myself, I have used integrated environents and even written a
component of one, in a previous job, but my favourite tool is
considered by many not qualified for the title. I prefer emacs, on
Unix systems, since it can call the compiler and process compiler
error messages to speed editing of syntax errors.; it can call the
debugger and speeds up tracking down logic errors; it can easily be
extended to new languages when the need arises; it uses the keystrokes
I use in editing programs, writing mail, writing reports , running X
window software...

So what features do you consider crucial? What is that causes you to
stay with ( or lust for ) product X? What is it you dream of but
haven't found?

This message is going to C and C++ groups, where I expect to find a
lot of PC and Mac users accustomed to Borland, MSC, Symantec, etc.
It's also going to comp.lang.prograph, which is an intergrated
environment of a different colour, to unix.shells, tcl, perl and lisp
groups, which are languages with which one doesn't associate IDEs
(other than lisp under emacs), and finally to some PC programmers
groups. Of course interpretors naturally provide alevel of convenience
seldom available with compilers; on the other hand the compiled languages
provide a speed which may make some programs impractical under interpretors.
Our target system is a Unix platform, but IDEs seem to be more
prevalent on personals computers. I'm interested in answers from both
camps, and also from other systems, such as VMS, VM/CMS, etc.

Send email to me, and I will summarize at regular intervals.

Thanks

Tom Legrady
From: Arun Welch
Subject: Re: Your favourite IDE feature ?
In article <··········@tensor.nstn.ca> ·······@arraysystems.nstn.ca (Tom Legrady) writes:

   I am writing a report on integrated development environments for a new
   computer package which is under development.

   This message is going to [...] lisp
   groups, which are languages with which one doesn't associate IDEs
   (other than lisp under emacs)

That's a rather odd statement to make, since Lisp has such a long
history of providing integrated environments! I suggest you look
through the literature on Lisp Machines, Zetalisp, Interlisp-D, and
current implementations from Franz, Harlequin, Lucid, and Venue.

...arun

Arun Welch
Anzus Consulting
·····@anzus.com