From: Christopher H Barron
Subject: Re: Franz Inc. to Acquire Lucid, Inc.
In article <···············@netcom.com> ·····@netcom.com (John Nagle) writes:
>···@Franz.COM (Charles A. Cox) writes:
>>Franz Inc. to Acquire Lucid, Inc.
>>Merger Unites Two Leaders in Object-Oriented Programming Development Systems
>
>      More like "Two Survivors".  Who else is left in the LISP business?
>LMI, Symbolics, and Gold Hill are long gone.
>
>					John Nagle

This isn't true at all!  GoldHill is definitely still in business, and still
holds the title of "the first to put Lisp on a PC".  Geesh, you may be
surprised about the comanies proclaimed as dead in the near future.

Chris Barron
······@athena.mit.edu

From: Jeff P. M. Hultquist
In article <·········@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> ······@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Christopher H Barron) writes:

>  > More like "Two Survivors".  Who else is left in the LISP business?
>  > LMI, Symbolics, and Gold Hill are long gone.
>
>   This isn't true at all!  GoldHill is definitely still in business,
>   and still holds the title of "the first to put Lisp on a PC".

I doubt that they shall *ever* lose this title.

--
Jeff Hultquist                         ········@nas.nasa.gov
NASA - Ames Research Center                   (415) 604-4970
From: Kelly Murray
In article <·········@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU>, ······@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Christopher H Barron) writes:

|> >      More like "Two Survivors".  Who else is left in the LISP business?
|> >LMI, Symbolics, and Gold Hill are long gone.
|> >
|> >					John Nagle
|>
|> This isn't true at all!  GoldHill is definitely still in business, and still
|> holds the title of "the first to put Lisp on a PC".  Geesh, you may be
|> surprised about the comanies proclaimed as dead in the near future.

Actually, "Gold Hill Computers" did go out of business.
A new company called "Gold Hill, Inc." (I think that's the name)
bought the assets of the Gold Hill Computers.  The new company has just
about zero overhead, and so doesn't have any problem "staying in business".
They haven't produced anything new for years, and has trouble maintaining
their old software.  I don't think they even have a real 32bit, 386
version of their Lisp.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Symbolics still exists, though under Chapter 11.
Can anybody say what they are doing??

--
- Kelly Murray  (···@prl.ufl.edu) <a href="http://www.prl.ufl.edu">
-University of Florida Parallel Research Lab </a> 96-node KSR1, 64-node nCUBE