From: Larry Wall
Subject: Re: PERL as a first programming language?
In article <················@nexus.yorku.ca> ··@nexus.yorku.ca (ozan s. yigit) writes:
: lwall:
: 	...
:    I think people will latch rather quickly onto the Perl5ism ...
:
: what choice do they have?

Ozan, Ozan.  You're such a great straight man.  I feel like Cyrano on the
subject of noses.  I can't choose among all the bales of hay, so I'll just
let you choose your own favorite answer.

The Calm Answer

	The same choices they've always had, and more.

The Snotty Answer

	What a snot!

The Zen

	What is the sound of one person choosing?

The Sarcastic

	Oooh, I'm sooo sorry.  I take it all back.

The Good Old Boy

	Hey, ease off on the caffeine, buddy.

The Mindless Aphorism

	Perl programmers have the choice of freedom, and freedom of choice.

The Light Witticism

	Now, now.  Let's not confuse Occam's Razor with Ozan's.

The Veiled Insult

	People always have the choice of remaining ignorant.

The Slam Dunk

	They can go with me, or they can go with you, or they can go nowhere.
	But gee, the last two options are the same.

The Tolkien Allusion

	"The choice is yours, to go or stay."

The Obvious Biblical Allusion

	"There's a time for everything under the sun..."

The Obscure Biblical Allusion

	"And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said
	unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago
	God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should
	hear the word of the gospel, and believe."

The Poetical Allusion

	"Two roads diverged in a wood..."

The Personal Allusion

	They've got lots of choices, including even SDBM.

The Flame

	[FLAME ON!!!!!!!!]
	How DARE you quote me out of context like that?!?!?  You make me sound
	like another Hitler or $omething!!!  Just shut the fuck up, okay?!
	[flame off]
	By the way, how's the wife and kids?

The Imminent Death of the Net Predicted

	With content-free messages like that, it's no wonder the net is
	going downhill.  What we really need is an administrative solution
	to this problem.  Now if we could just get some of the backbone SAs
	to agree...

The Psychobabble

	What you're saying is valid, but you know, you really have to
	let me be me.

The Flower Child

	Peace, man.  Got any good stuff?

The Rodney King

	Why can't we all just get along?

The Sergeant Friday

	You have the right to remain silent.

The Quote Bait

	Unlike most computer languages, Perl is both pro-choice and pro-life.

The Paternal Patter

	That's okay, Ozan, I understand where you're coming from.
	I once went through the rebellious stage you're going through,
	but eventually I settled down and started getting some real work
	done.  These things just take time.  Be patient with yourself.

The Philosophical Discourse

	While none of us can, in fact, choose anything freely, we must
	make our own meaning out of the absurd by pretending that our
	choices do matter.  In this way we authenticate ourselves; we
	demonstrate our existence to everyone who cares, which is, of
	course, nobody but ourselves.  In this we are the elohim.

The Direct Answer

	They can choose to use the new feature, or they can choose to
	program in the subset of Perl 5 corresponding to Perl 4, which
	many people have oddly enough found to be perfectly adequate.

The Oversimplification

	Perl is about nothing BUT choice.

The Infinite Recursion

	Ozan, Ozan.  You're such a great straight man.  I feel like Cyrano...

The Best Answer

	[This space intentionally left blank.]

Love,
Larry

From: Dragomir R. Radev
Wow! What should I post to the net today to make Larry post some more
of those witty things?

D.

--
Dragomir R. Radev                                Graduate Research Assistant
Natural Language Processing Group          Columbia University CS Department
From: Dylan Northrup (SCI)
Larry Wall (·····@netlabs.com) wrote:
: In article <················@nexus.yorku.ca> ··@nexus.yorku.ca (ozan s. yigit) writes:
: : lwall:
: : 	...
: :    I think people will latch rather quickly onto the Perl5ism ...
: :
: : what choice do they have?

: Ozan, Ozan.  You're such a great straight man.  I feel like Cyrano on the
: subject of noses.  I can't choose among all the bales of hay, so I'll just
: let you choose your own favorite answer.

[List of answers deleted]

Bravo, my good man, bravo.

: Love,
: Larry

| Dylan Northrup -- Physics Education        | "And She knows she's more than |
| ········@madonna.coedu.cas.usf.edu         |  just a little misunderstood   |
| Will system admin && || code HTML for food |  normal when she's nervous."   |