From: Adam Alpern
Subject: Lisp Uses (was: Re: What other experimental languages connect to a windowing system? (was: Why is TCL successful ?))
In article <··················@x1.cygnus.com>, ····@x1.cygnus.com (Tom Lord) wrote:

;; Right.  No general-use application written in lisp will ever fly.
;; Only in a few exotic situations do people ever use lisp.
;;
;; Tom Lord
;; part-time emacs hacker

Now hang on before you make such a wide sweeping statement (and try
saying it in a lisp newsgroup and watch the flames fly!). I agree
with your first statement. Deserved or not (not, imho), Lisp has a
rather bad reputation. Some people just can't deal with parens. But
then there is the valid argument of the application's footprint.
Common Lisp is a bloated everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink-and
the-garage-too monster, but other lisps, such as EuLisp, were designed
around a small language kernel with optional libraries.

Apple's Dylan promises to have the incremental development environment
of most good  lisps with the option of static compilation for delivery.
While it's not a parenthesized language like common lisp (the syntax is
Algol-like), symantically it shares a great deal with lisp, is
sufficiently high level, and will probably make a good language for
"general-use applications".

I use lisp for alot more than a few exotic situations. I use it for file
management, backups, many things usually relegated to UNIX shell scripts
(which, obviously, don't exist on a Mac), such as search my filesystem
with regular expressions. Now, I know that that certainly doesn't mean
this would be viable for everyone, I just have a lisp image running almost
all the time when I'm at my computer, so I can afford the overhead of having
the entire development environment around just to copy a file.

Just a few thoughts.

Adam

--
Adam Alpern. HCC Group, University of Colorado at Boulder
···@cs.colorado.edu

From: Thomas Lawrence
In article <····················@el_diente.cs.colorado.edu> ···@cs.colorado.edu (Adam Alpern) writes:
>In article <··················@x1.cygnus.com>, ····@x1.cygnus.com (Tom Lord) wrote:
>;; Right.  No general-use application written in lisp will ever fly.
>;; Only in a few exotic situations do people ever use lisp.
>;;
>;; Tom Lord
>;; part-time emacs hacker
>
>Now hang on before you make such a wide sweeping statement (and try
>saying it in a lisp newsgroup and watch the flames fly!). I agree
>with your first statement.
[...]

Er... perhaps you missed his signature?  ;-)
From: Adam Alpern
In article <··········@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, ········@cesn2.cen.uiuc.edu (Thomas Lawrence) wrote:

;; In article <····················@el_diente.cs.colorado.edu> ···@cs.colorado.edu (Adam Alpern) writes:
;; >In article <··················@x1.cygnus.com>, ····@x1.cygnus.com (Tom Lord) wrote:
;; >;; Right.  No general-use application written in lisp will ever fly.
;; >;; Only in a few exotic situations do people ever use lisp.
;; >;;
;; >;; Tom Lord
;; >;; part-time emacs hacker
;; >
;; >Now hang on before you make such a wide sweeping statement (and try
;; >saying it in a lisp newsgroup and watch the flames fly!). I agree
;; >with your first statement.
;; [...]
;;
;; Er... perhaps you missed his signature?  ;-)

Yep, I guess having been blinded by the "Unix Tower of Babble"
thread, that little bit was too much for my brain to handle ;-).

Emacs *is* a perfect example of a general-use application written
mostly in lisp. Actually, Emacs almost qualifies as an operating
system. Then again, I personally know a few part-time emacs hackers
who curse LISP and every one who uses it while they grudgingly program
the editor they're addicted to.

Adam

From: Pierpaolo Bernardi
Thomas Lawrence (········@cesn2.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:
: In article <····················@el_diente.cs.colorado.edu> ···@cs.colorado.edu (Adam Alpern) writes:
: >In article <··················@x1.cygnus.com>, ····@x1.cygnus.com (Tom Lord) wrote:
: >;; Right.  No general-use application written in lisp will ever fly.
: >;; Only in a few exotic situations do people ever use lisp.
: >;;
: >;; Tom Lord
: >;; part-time emacs hacker
: >
: >Now hang on before you make such a wide sweeping statement (and try
: >saying it in a lisp newsgroup and watch the flames fly!). I agree
: >with your first statement.
: [...]

: Er... perhaps you missed his signature?  ;-)

By the way, 'Derive' is a succesful <general-use application>. It's
written in Lisp.

	bye. P.

----
Pierpaolo Bernardi  (·······@cli.di.unipi.it)
From: Marco Antoniotti

   From: ·······@cli.di.unipi.it (Pierpaolo Bernardi)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.functional,comp.lang.misc,comp.lang.lisp
   Date: 25 Jul 1994 15:39:35 GMT
   Thomas Lawrence (········@cesn2.cen.uiuc.edu) wrote:
   : In article <····················@el_diente.cs.colorado.edu> ···@cs.colorado.edu (Adam Alpern) writes:
   : >In article <··················@x1.cygnus.com>, ····@x1.cygnus.com (Tom Lord) wrote:
   : >;; Right.  No general-use application written in lisp will ever fly.
   : Er... perhaps you missed his signature?  ;-)

   By the way, 'Derive' is a succesful <general-use application>. It's
   written in Lisp.

Not to speak of Macsyma. And... has anybody looked beneath the surface
of Mathematica?

Happy Lisping

--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
Robotics Lab		| room: 1220 - tel. #: (212) 998 3370

...e` la semplicita` che e` difficile a farsi.
...it is simplicity that is difficult to make.
				Bertholdt Brecht
From: John Doner
In article <····················@el_diente.cs.colorado.edu>, ···@cs.colorado.edu (Adam Alpern) writes:
|> management, backups, many things usually relegated to UNIX shell scripts
|> (which, obviously, don't exist on a Mac), such as search my filesystem
|> with regular expressions.

Actually, they DO exist on a Mac---in MPW, the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.  This programming
environment is really a complete Finder replacement with a UNIX-like interface and tools, including
scripts, searches with regular expressions, etc.  By itself, it costs about $150, but it also comes
with some third-party products.  For example, I bought an Ada compiler a few years ago for a mere
$149 and it came with MPW.

John Doner	·····@math.ucsb.edu	or	 ·····@aero.org