From: Logan Shaw
Subject: "Tower of Babel" perspective
Well, now that we've all had our little flame war and argued religious
issues such as which syntax is better (without defining 'better') and
whether 'awk' and 'vi' should be removed from Unix, I'd like to say
something.

I like to think of computer languages as tools.  I like to think of
musical instruments as tools also, so I think I'll make a comparison.

LISP is a synthesizer:
	- it's big and heavy, but it's getting better in that respect.
	- it's very flexible; it doesn't require you to play in a
	    certain style.
	- the concept is very simple and elegant.
	- in order to modify the sound (or virtually anything else for
	    that matter), you just change the programming.

Perl is a guitar (perl 4 is acoustic,  perl 5 is electric):
	- it's small, and you can walk around while you're playing it.
	- it's fun to experiment with; you can get results back quickly.
	- the more you use it, the more you learn to take advantage of
	    its little quirks and intricacies.
	- in order to modify the sound, you plug in a new effects pedal,
	    or you change the pick, or you get a slide, or change the
	    strings, or change/move the pickup, or bend the neck, or
	    add a tremelo bar.
	- it requires you to do some weird gymnastics, but rewards you
	    when you do.

Tcl is a toy piano:
	- it's small and cheap to implement.
	- it's intentionally not difficult to learn.
	- it works.

Now, my point is this:  musicians aren't all arguing about whether the piano
will eventually replace the guitar.  Nobody complains that the harp is too
big and bulky and should therefore be abandoned.  You don't see violinists
complaining that the *correct* way to disturb the air is with a string and
that all those woodwind players are silly trying to use a reed and a pipe.
Guitarists and pianists don't argue about whether an interface where you
pluck strings or one where you press keys is better.

Musicians, in general, see their instruments all as tools with a somewhat
limited use.  (In fact, they usually have respect for those who can play
instruments they can't.)  Many musicians learn more than one instrument.
Often, they use instruments together in what's called "harmony".  =:-O

Now, everyone please kiss and make up.

Adios,
  Logan

(P.S.:  Hi Andrew.)

--
The genius of France can be seen at a glance
And it's not in their fabled fashion scene

From: Martin Rodgers
Subject: Re: "Tower of Babel" perspective
In article <··········@taligent.com> ·····@taligent.com "Logan Shaw" writes:

> Musicians, in general, see their instruments all as tools with a somewhat
> limited use.  (In fact, they usually have respect for those who can play
> instruments they can't.)  Many musicians learn more than one instrument.
> Often, they use instruments together in what's called "harmony".  =:-O

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for expressing it so well!

> Now, everyone please kiss and make up.

Can I just add that the same room that I keep my computer in also
has a modular synth in it? :-)

--
Martin Rodgers, WKBBG, London UK   AKA "Cyber Surfer"

If "One likes to believe in the freedom of email", email
················@cpsr.org and tell them you oppose Clipper.
This is a shareware .signature  -- please pass it on!
From: Peter.DeRijk
:
[...]
I don't like this metaphor; it seems to suggest some things which are wrong:
 - The sound is terrible
 - It will never be used in a real orchestra
These things are definately wrong. I cannot find the best alternative metaphor
though. Maybe this is useable:
 Tcl is like MIDI
        - it's portable nad can be embedded in different instruments
        - it can controll a lot of different instruments through a
          reasonable simple and unified interface
        - (combined with an easy to use midi program, it can let people
          who don't know how to play an instrument make nice music.
(I know it's not perfect either, but well.)
:
[...]
There are a lot of different music styles (Classic, Rock, ........). Depending
on what style you like, you will like different instruments, and have
different ideas about what 'harmony' is.
: Now, everyone please kiss and make up.
I do agree with the general idea of the post: Use the tool that's best for
the job AND for you. (What the best tool is for a certain job definately
differs for many people.)
:
: Adios,
:   Logan
:
: (P.S.:  Hi Andrew.)
:
: --
: The genius of France can be seen at a glance
: And it's not in their fabled fashion scene
: It's not that they're mean, or their wine, or cuisine
: I refer of course to the guillotine
: (the French knew how to lynch)
:                 T-Bone Burnett, "I Can Explain Everything"

Peter
From: Don Libes
In article <······················@reks.uia.ac.be> ·······@reks.uia.ac.be (Peter.DeRijk) writes:
>: I like to think of computer languages as tools.  I like to think of
>: musical instruments as tools also, so I think I'll make a comparison.
>
>I don't like this metaphor; it seems to suggest some things which are wrong:
>These things are definately wrong. I cannot find the best alternative metaphor
>though. Maybe this is useable:

You're looking at things at too low a level.  Here's my attempt at
musical metaphors.  I hope everyone feels equally insulted.

   UNIX:
	Symphony orchestra.

   Perl:
	Symphony orchestra with Wurlitzer organ in front that actually
	produces most of the music.  Attached to the Wurlitzer are duplicate
	set of all the bells and whistles found in the symphony	orchestra
	right next to it.  Operator loves the Wurlitzer, seeing it as a
	challenge to put the orchestra out of business but occasionally has
	trouble figuring out its complexity and requests one of the
	orchestral members to help out by playing their instrument.  The
	owner modifies the Wurlitzer every week or so - too frequently for
	many operators.

   Tcl:
	Symphony orchestra with conductor seated at piano.  Conductor
	attempts to cover all the parts on the piano, but piano has a slow
	keyboard.  Occasionally, conductor inserts some of the instruments
	inside the piano when the piano itself is not expressive enough.
	Frequently, conductor calls on orchestral members since they often
	play better.  In some pieces, conductor is content to play almost
	no notes and just concentrate on the conducting or even sit idle
	doing nothing.  Owner gives the piano a light retuning about once
	a year - too light for many.

   Lisp:
	A single instrument to which are attached reeds, strings, valves,
	bells, drums, etc.  All pieces are glued on by the same special
	imported tar so that the instrument gives the impression as having
	been made by a single company.  However, if you get real close you
	can see thousands of musicians have left their initials in the glue
	to indicate their own unique and creative modification.  Janitor
	keeps dropping by to haul the whole thing away, but always stops
	after seeing that musicians are still playing with it.

Don Libes  <·····@nist.gov>
From: Allen S. Rout
-=> Regarding: Re: "Tower of Babel" perspective:
-=> ·····@nist.gov (Don Libes) sez:
[ things about languages and music ]

[ creeeeeak ]

Look out man!

[ eeeeek-k-k ]

AIEEEEE!

{ SNAP! }  -ka FWANG-ANG-Ang-ang-

Yeesh.  Gotta watch when you stretch those metaphors.

R.I.P.

--
<    ···@cis.ufl.edu	>| Please feel free to respond to anything I
<     (904)373-0906	>| say: I have strong opinions, but a wide-open